yeast slushy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurie C

Junior
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to make a slushy? It is the process used to save and reuse yeast. thanks

Heres what I do
Rack to secondary. Let it sit a week or so.
Wait till the yeast drops.
Rack off in a sanitized jarand I then use whats leftas a yeast cake.

When I save yeast I do it at the start. I make up a two liter starter and let if ferment out. I drain off most of the liquid and the pour some into small sanitized canning jars. I add some more fresh wort to the jars and loosely attach the lid and ring. I let them ferment out, tighten the ring put them in the fridge. When I am ready to use them I just make a starter like normal. I have had good results using these after 4 months in the fridge, or I can just add more wort to them and keep them longer.

Good ideas. If I pitch dry yeast I make a starter and its not too bad for 1 pack of yeast. When you get those liquid yeasts and slap packs the price triples and quadruples sometimes. Good way to save a few dollars on brew day.

I have read that you shouldn't use it beyond the 3rd or 4th generation though. Whats the groups comments on that?

Back