Yeast slurry question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VineSwinger

Junior
Reaction score
I have an Orchard Breezin blackberry merlot kit that has been in the fermentor for 10 days now, I plan on cracking the lid open Saturday or Sunday to check the sg. If it's in the target range, I was considering using this for my first attempt at a batch of skeeter pee, would it be a good slurry to use?

The slurry does not contribute a strong flavor to the wine. I made a batch of skeeterpee combining the slurry from a white zin, cabernet, and shiraz. After backsweeting the pee had a sweet lemony tartness with a nice grape finish.

I think you should give it try.

Sure you can use that slurry. The biggest thing with the slurry is you are using healthy yeast that are used to chomping the sugar up and making alcohol. You will probably get a little flavor from your slurry, but the slurry helps the lemon take off and ferment. The lemon starts kinda hard so if you don't use a slurry you want to make a good starter to get it going. If you use a slurry from a strong flavored wine like elderberry you will probably get more flavor from your parent wine in the Skeeter Pee. Arne.

Plus you can always back sweeten with a frozen concentrate if you need extra flavor. If you feel you won't get enough flavor out of it only make a small batch.

Latest posts

Back