Yeast Recommendation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smcalli1

Reaction score
I just ordered a bucket of Sangiovese frozen must and a bucket of frozen Cabernet Sauvignon juice from M&M. The goal is to ferment them separately and then blend them at a mix of 70% Sangiovese and 30% Cab. I'm planning on using WYeast Chianti in the Sangiovese, but I'm scratching my head a bit on the yeast to use for the Cab. Initially I thought I'd use the WYeast Chianti for it too, but then I started second guessing myself and wondered if EC-1118 might be better. So, now I put to you. What would you do? Keep the yeast the same across the blend or use a different yeast for the Cab?

A little more information, please. How well can you control the yeast and must environment? Have you worked with yeast before? What do you normally do in preparing / pitching the yeast?

TonyP said:
A little more information, please. How well can you control the yeast and must environment? Have you worked with yeast before?

These will be my 7th and 8th batches of wine, but my first attempt at blending. I've use WYeast before on 2 batches of Norton, a batch of Vidal Blanc and on a batch of Traminette. I also used it on a Super Tuscan kit rather than the provided yeast. Im not going to swear by liquid yeast, but i like the results so far. The must will be fermented in my basement using brew belts to keep the must temperature at around 70. What other questions would you have?

Great thanks for the info. See what others suggest, but I'd say White Labs WLP760 (be careful on the starting temp.) if you're looking for something fun. Or as much fun as you can have with yeast. If you're not as adventurous, perhaps Red Star Pasteur Red. Both are different from what you've probably seen before.

Will you be using Go-Ferm?
Have time to order yeast still?

BM-45 might be fun if you can feed it
D21, D254 or D80 bring different things to the table too & blend well together

Tony and Deezil, thanks. I'll do some research on all those. I do have time to order the yeast and there's a shop in my town. Deezil, I've not used Go-Ferm before. Are you recommending it because of the nature of the Cab or because of the yeasts you listed?

Well its a good habit to get into anyways.. But i was mentioning it mostly because of BM-45 and its nitrogen needs - would want good nutrients if you went that route so it didnt get upset and produce off flavors

I use it with all my ferments, regardless of what yeast i'm using but some benefit from it more than others.. Something like Fermaid K or Fermaid O is good to add to the arsenal too

Deezil said:
Well its a good habit to get into anyways.. But i was mentioning it mostly because of BM-45 and its nitrogen needs - would want good nutrients if you went that route so it didnt get upset and produce off flavors

I use it with all my ferments, regardless of what yeast i'm using but some benefit from it more than others.. Something like Fermaid K or Fermaid O is good to add to the arsenal too

Thanks, Deezil

I've used BM45 once and used GoFerm to start and Fermaid-K about halfway through primary. I don't have a basis of comparisson, as it was my very first wine; but that yeast and some oak turned a Vino Italiano Barolo into a pretty decent table wine. I've read that BM 4X4 is another good option. MoreWine carries BM45 and has some very good documentation and pairing info for the yeasts they carry.

I would use BM45, this is made for Brunello, which is made from Sangiovese grapes, I would use opti-red in the fermenter as well, this will help to obtain a fuller bodied, more color stable, smooth palate wine.

Using Opti-RED in the must provides early polysaccharide availability for complexing with polyphenols as soon as they are re*leased and diffused. This early complexing results in red wines with more intense color and better tannin integration. Using Opti-RED in the latter part of alcoholic fermentation allows the winemaker to shape harsh polyphenols into smoother, more approach*able tannins.

M&M stocks it, very inexpensive, less than 2 dollars for a 6 gallon batch.

Pumpkinman said:
I would use BM45, this is made for Brunello, which is made from Sangiovese grapes, I would use opti-red in the fermenter as well, this will help to obtain a fuller bodied, more color stable, smooth palate wine.

Thanks, Pumpkinman.

Latest posts

Back