Yeast Query

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Why sprinkle, instead of rehydrate? I accidentally did the latter. Hydrometer reads just under 1.000.
Transferred to carboy today for 2nd fermentation.

Sprinkle is typically called for in kit instruction, to my understanding, mostly for it's simplicity. It will take longer for the fermentation to get up to full speed - due to smaller surface contact between the dry yeast and must - but it's a fool proof solution for would-be-vintners of all skill levels.

Re-hydrating will help the fermentation to get started more quickly. However, specific parameters may need to be met - ie. volume of water used, water temperature, etc. - which leaves some room for error.

Nothing wrong with the re-hydrating you've done, especially if your must is fermenting away healthy...

Kit makers assume everyone is a first time wine maker so instructions are designed for ease, quickness, and to avoid mistakes. There's many things kit wine makers do to improve on their kits and you've touched on one of them.

No doubt there are very valid points on and benefits to rehydration. Unfortunately, I have never gotten into the habbit.

Sprinkle has always worked for me in the past.

I like to re-hydrate my yeasts just for this simple reason...... I can see that the yeast is working before I pitch it. This way if I had a problem with a fermentation not starting I could pretty well rule out the fact of whether the yeast was any good.

BOB

I like to re-hydrate my yeasts just for this simple reason...... I can see that the yeast is working before I pitch it. This way if I had a problem with a fermentation not starting I could pretty well rule out the fact of whether the yeast was any good.

BOB

I totally agree. If you have any doubts that your yeast are viable, hydrating will answer that question in about 15 minutes. I take it a step further and create a full yeast starter.

I always hydrate every strain except D47. For some reason, at a temperature of 55F, hydrated D47 seems to take longer to get going and I will sort of begin to panic. Simply pitching D47 at that temperature seems to start much quicker for me. Now, that is just my own experience.

Why sprinkle, instead of rehydrate? I accidentally did the latter. Hydrometer reads just under 1.000.
Transferred to carboy today for 2nd fermentation.

1.) I have done it both ways, got good wine both ways, and I am a lazy son of a gun! :i

2.) Efficiency. Instead of waiting and watching for the rehydration, I save that time to drink! :dg

I think if your yeast if fresh (refrigerated and under 1 year old), you are good however you go. If you have a difficult must (highly acid or a lot of concentrated juice, for example), rehydrating is probably better.

Last edited:
Back