Yeast Nutrients

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Fermaid K and/or O. It can be added at once after 1/3 sugar depletion or in two one half dose additions once at the end of the lag phase and the other at 1/3 sugar depletion.

In reality the addition and amount should be based on the YAN of the grapes and the needs of the yeast. Only once when I had a lab assess my juice have I known the YAN and interestingly the grapes probably did not need any N. Still, I add it based on Lalvin's recommended dosage in two additions and and have never had a stuck fermentation or H2S. I do reyhdrate my yeast with GoFerm and stand ready with DAP should I suspect a H2S problem. I don't mess around with my ferment. I want it to start quickly and ferment to dry. The only intervention I make is with temperature.

Twice. Fermaid K as per instructions.
They refer to the 2 additions as 1 whole dose, adding 1/2 at onset and the other at 1/3rd sugar depletion. (Or as close as able).
And I have given an extra shot of DAP early on in the ferment a couple times.

That’s as far as I go. Maybe some Ferm O to use if nutrients are needed later on in the ferment. There’s a whole lot of options out there too. IMG_6673.JPG

i used fermaid O to get the starter and K all at once once the must showed signs of fermenting.

Ok... maybe someone can help me out here. Our local wine supply place (read ONLY wine supply place in town) sells "Yeast Nutrient"- a white, crystalline powder- and "Yeast energizer"- a fine beige powder which contains "Diamond phosphate, Vitamin B complex, and Magnesium sulphate" (???). Another seller in a different city sold me some "Yeast nutrient-FK" - fine beige powder with diammonium phosphate, calcium, magnesium, iron, niacinamide, and riboflavin (Vit B)... I'm thinking the FK might be Fermaid K? I'm just confused about what I should be using, when. I mostly make fruit wines- sour cherry, Concord grape, and rhubarb, but have started doing some kits, and may graduate to some more advanced stuff, so would like to learn. I'm also a biochemist by education, so this kind of willy-nilly labelling hurts my soul.20181017_222001[1].jpg

That's not uncommon for a local shop. I'm just speculating, the white crystalline yeast nutrient is probably straight diammonium phosphate. If I had to choose one of those I'd go with the FK.

I use GoFirm Protect to start and then add the appropriate. Amount of Fermaid K when Brix are 2/3 down from start. It always works, i.e. no H2S. I don’t use any DAP. These cost a bit more, but are worth it, for sure. I have recently been using Renaissance Avante yeast, which is non H2S producing too. It is great for reds, which is what I mostly make.

That's not uncommon for a local shop. I'm just speculating, the white crystalline yeast nutrient is probably straight diammonium phosphate. If I had to choose one of those I'd go with the FK.
Thank you! I was getting confused with the GoFerm, Fermaid K and O and all that. Time to do some more reading!

Latest posts

Back