Quantcast

Yeast nutrients

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

cuz

Reaction score
I have 4 pails of red Chilean juice fermenting for about a week. Started off with Fermaid K and EC1118 in all of them. Next week I am going to add Malolactic bacteria with opti-malo. Thinking of adding a little go ferm too - couldn't hurt. I didn't have the go ferm when I pitched the yeast. Is there a downside to too much nutrients. I think I read that in a thread.

CK55

Banned
Reaction score
I have 4 pails of red Chilean juice fermenting for about a week. Started off with Fermaid K and EC1118 in all of them. Next week I am going to add Malolactic bacteria with opti-malo. Thinking of adding a little go ferm too - couldn't hurt. I didn't have the go ferm when I pitched the yeast. Is there a downside to too much nutrients. I think I read that in a thread.
Dont over do it and dont under do it. Too much or too little is a bad thing.

Johnd

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Leftover nutrients become potential food for things you don’t want thriving in your wine. Best to stick to the recommendations.

Reactions: cuz

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
You probably don't want to add more yeast nutrients at this point in your fermentation. The yeast can't use them at this point. I am guessing that your alcohol fermentation is nearly complete. Adding nutrient now will mean that gets left in your wine, spoilage bacteria can eat those nutrients and flourish quite fine. So after about half your sugar is gone, the general rule is no more nutrient.

If you happened to be adding about nutrition for your Malolactic Bacteria, then yes, you probably do want to add that.

Ajmassa

just a guy
Reaction score
Go ferm is mainly used for rehydrating yeast or added at beginning to help kick it off as u already know. I never thought to add it it late since it never instructs to do so.
But the goFerm equivalent for malo would be Acti-ML. Kinda like how opti Malo is similar to ferm k for the mlb.

cuz

Reaction score
So I used Fermaid K because that's what I had on hand. Do you usually use both go ferm and fermaid K. What about Acti-malo and opti-malo. Do you use both? Acti and go-ferm for hydration and fermaid K and opti for nutrition?

Ajmassa

just a guy
Reaction score
So I used Fermaid K because that's what I had on hand. Do you usually use both go ferm and fermaid K. What about Acti-malo and opti-malo. Do you use both? Acti and go-ferm for hydration and fermaid K and opti for nutrition?
That’s exactly what I use. All 4. Go-ferm with the yeast rehydrating and ferm K as the yeast nutrient added at onset of activity and 1/3 sugar depletion.
And acti-ML with the malo bacteria rehydrating and opti malo directly after for nutrition.

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
And I am the same way. Give those yeast and the bacteria as much help as I can, it sure doesn't hurt to use these items.

Johnd

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Here here, affirmative for the third time. Have a healthy, clean AF and MLF, you’re well on your way!!

Latest posts