Yeast nutrients

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuz

Reaction score
I have 4 pails of red Chilean juice fermenting for about a week. Started off with Fermaid K and EC1118 in all of them. Next week I am going to add Malolactic bacteria with opti-malo. Thinking of adding a little go ferm too - couldn't hurt. I didn't have the go ferm when I pitched the yeast. Is there a downside to too much nutrients. I think I read that in a thread.

I have 4 pails of red Chilean juice fermenting for about a week. Started off with Fermaid K and EC1118 in all of them. Next week I am going to add Malolactic bacteria with opti-malo. Thinking of adding a little go ferm too - couldn't hurt. I didn't have the go ferm when I pitched the yeast. Is there a downside to too much nutrients. I think I read that in a thread.
Dont over do it and dont under do it. Too much or too little is a bad thing.

You probably don't want to add more yeast nutrients at this point in your fermentation. The yeast can't use them at this point. I am guessing that your alcohol fermentation is nearly complete. Adding nutrient now will mean that gets left in your wine, spoilage bacteria can eat those nutrients and flourish quite fine. So after about half your sugar is gone, the general rule is no more nutrient.

If you happened to be adding about nutrition for your Malolactic Bacteria, then yes, you probably do want to add that.

Go ferm is mainly used for rehydrating yeast or added at beginning to help kick it off as u already know. I never thought to add it it late since it never instructs to do so.
But the goFerm equivalent for malo would be Acti-ML. Kinda like how opti Malo is similar to ferm k for the mlb.

So I used Fermaid K because that's what I had on hand. Do you usually use both go ferm and fermaid K. What about Acti-malo and opti-malo. Do you use both? Acti and go-ferm for hydration and fermaid K and opti for nutrition?

So I used Fermaid K because that's what I had on hand. Do you usually use both go ferm and fermaid K. What about Acti-malo and opti-malo. Do you use both? Acti and go-ferm for hydration and fermaid K and opti for nutrition?

That’s exactly what I use. All 4. Go-ferm with the yeast rehydrating and ferm K as the yeast nutrient added at onset of activity and 1/3 sugar depletion.
And acti-ML with the malo bacteria rehydrating and opti malo directly after for nutrition.

And I am the same way. Give those yeast and the bacteria as much help as I can, it sure doesn't hurt to use these items.

Here here, affirmative for the third time. Have a healthy, clean AF and MLF, you’re well on your way!!

Latest posts

Back