Yeast help. BM4X4 not coming to life!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
I got my Valpolicella bucket this morning and just hydrated my yeast about 30 minutes ago. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any signs of life. I have D80, D254 and RC212 on hand. Which would you recommend? Thanks.

Is it an old or new package? Was it opened and or used from last year? How did you rehydrate? Did you add some must in after rehydrating?

New. Just got it from MoreWine. Started with ~90 degree spring water with a dash of Fermax. Added a little must twice. I went ahead and pitched, but may need to try again tomorrow if noth happens.

I did a batch of Sangio and Zin with BM4X4 this year. They were both a little slow out of the gate IIRC so don't panic just yet. Get your must temp up if you have not already and give it 24 hours or so.

Agree - no need to get worried unless you don't see any activity starting 24-48 hours after pitching.

I'm using BM4X4 on 4 juice buckets and my fresh Sangiovese, I hydrated with Goferm at 110°, added BM4X4 at 105°, waited maybe 5 mins before I saw it coming alive, added some must warmed to the same temp as the hydrating water, another 10 mins and it looked like a Cappuccino!
Fermentations are going strong.
What is the temp of the area that you are fermenting in?

Thanks all. I think we can turn off the panic alarm. As of late last night, there was still no activity, but I had a nice head of foam this morning. SG has dropped by 0.002. But I added 12oz of raisins that could have bumped the starting SG up after I measured. I think I'm on my way. Will measure again later today.

I need to order more. I opened my Eclipse Barolo yesterday only to find EC-1118. I will definitely be swapping that out.

The Sangio that I used BM4X4 on this year has an amazing bouquet and the fruit almost explodes in your mouth. Never had a wine taste that way after only 10 days or so. Can't wait to blend it up with the cab sauv and merlot into a nice super tuscan. :sm

Mike what is your percentage of each you are using for super tuscan? I am using 80/20. Merlot and cab its Currently fermenting. I am using bm45 yeast

I am a long way from blending so plenty of time to do "research" on percentages but I would guess something along the lines of ~60% Sangiovese, ~25% Cab Sauv and ~15% Merlot.

The very first kit I did, I swapped the kit yeast with BM45. I watched it very carefully and fed it halfway through. I was lucky and didn't have any issues. I used it again several months ago on an EP Amarone that is now in Vadai #2. As long as you take care of it, it produces pretty well. BM4x4 apparently bred out some of the 'high maintenance' characteristics of BM45 while maintaining its contributions to nose, mouthfeel and flavor.

'The Sangio that I used BM4X4 on this year has an amazing bouquet and the fruit almost explodes in your mouth. Never had a wine taste that way after only 10 days or so.'

Maybe that explains my situation. I recently completed a WV Italian Sangiovese using the system shown by joeswine (raisins in secondary and 4T tanin). Bottled 8/5 and tried a bottle over the weekend. The fruit and aromas are amazing for a wine this young. It still has a 'sweet' taste, in spite of ending at .994. Guess it could be KT or maybe the result of adding heavy toast American chips. Very interesting though regarding the aromas.

Latest posts

Back