Yeast for a small batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booboo

Reaction score
Right now I am making 2 gallon batches of mead. I am new to mead making and do not want to make bigger batches until I figure out what I like and get used to the process.

I am told to use 1 gram of yeast per gallon of must. The yeast comes in 5g packages. Should I just use a whole package for a 2 gallon batch or weight out 2 grams and use a partial package?

I use goferm to rehydrate so using 5 grams of yeast would also mean I am using more goferm per gallon than normal. Is this a problem?

What yeast are you using? How much does it cost? What is the harm of using a whole package to ferment 1 or 2 gallons? If you open a package of dried yeast and you measure out the quantity you say is perfect for the volume of honey you are formenting what is your plan to reseal the package to prevent any moisture from getting to that yeast and how are you sanitizing the package to prevent any bacterial contamination of the yeast that you will store... where? in your fridge? freezer? in a vacuum sealed bag?

What yeast are you using? How much does it cost? What is the harm of using a whole package to ferment 1 or 2 gallons? If you open a package of dried yeast and you measure out the quantity you say is perfect for the volume of honey you are formenting what is your plan to reseal the package to prevent any moisture from getting to that yeast and how are you sanitizing the package to prevent any bacterial contamination of the yeast that you will store... where? in your fridge? freezer? in a vacuum sealed bag?

71B. It is cheap enough that I could use 2 grams and toss the rest of the package. I am just wondering if it hurts anything to use the whole 5 grams along with the additional goferm needed to rehydrate 5 grams vs. 2 grams.

The nature of yeast is such that it multiplies in the presence of Oxygen, When we see a newly started batch foaming it is multiplying, It is not until it reaches sufficient numbers to utilize the available food source that it begins to go to work digesting sugars. Adding a whole 5 gr. pack will not harm your mead. It simply reduces the amount of multiplication and ensures ample yeasties to do the job. Of course there are limits on the extremes. I believe many 5 gr.packets of wine yeast say for use in 1 to 5 gallons. P.S. Goferm is nothing more than yeast energizer/nutrient.

Last edited:
The nature of yeast is such that it multiplies in the presence of Oxygen, When we see a newly started batch foaming it is multiplying, It is not until it reaches sufficient numbers to utilize the available food source that it begins to go to work digesting sugars.

I agree with tenbears's advice. However, I offer just a small clarification here: They are most definitely eating sugar while they are multiplying. They just aren't peeing alcohol yet. As long as there is plenty of oxygen and sugar, they will behave aerobically, and break the sugar all the way down to CO2 and water, and will reproduce by budding. When they are starved for oxygen, they will behave anaerobically, and budding becomes difficult. (You get a lot more energy from aerobic than anaerobic processes.)

Latest posts

Back