Yeast and must temperature

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much temperature difference?

Since I've been making overnight starters (which is not that long), I've been placing the starter next to the fermenter overnight to equalize temperature

Since I've been making overnight starters (which is not that long), I've been placing the starter next to the fermenter overnight to equalize temperature
3F difference. Must 71F yeast starter 68F. The must is in the basement with a heat belt on the bucket. The starter is upstairs.

- - - - - - - - A Course On Wine Making From Suppliers -
An easy to follow, low tech guide for using dry yeast, 36 minutes
* Everything you need to know about dry yeast, Brittney Berg, Sales Manager for Lallemand answers many frequently asked questions about dry yeast ranging from production, rehydration to repitching. Questions that were covered: What is A.D.Y. (active dry yeast)? How is it made? What is Trehalose? Why are there not as many dry strains available compared to liquid? Do I need to rehydrate dried yeast? How do I go about doing that? How do I store dry yeast? and how once I have opened a packet? Do I need to aerate? Can I repitch another ferment with this yeast? What if I ignore the best by date?

yeast are relatively hardy buggers, , ,
three degrees F, , , as long as you are close to target will never matter

Last edited:

curious what your quantities are for H20, nutrient and sugar? (there are times I see decent activity with my starters and other times, not so much)

curious what your quantities are for H20, nutrient and sugar? (there are times I see decent activity with my starters and other times, not so much)
Placing the starter next to the must bucket is a good idea. If you want to get technical and can’t get the temperatures identical, better for the must to be warmer than the starter.

Back