D47 Must temperature

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Making a White Bordeaux FWK. I want to ferment cool. Maybe 68F. Should the must be a bit warmer 70-72F, to get the starter going and then reduce it to 68F?

I ferment everything in my basement. It seldom gets above 66F. Never had a problem getting any yeast to start.

You are still within the temp that yeast is happy at. It might take an hour or two more to start, but probably not even that. If you said 55F, then it might take longer.

I regularly ferment with D47 at 65 degrees F. But I start with warm water + GoFerm to make my starter. For most wine yeasts, the initial temperature for the starter should be around 95 degrees F.

Making a White Bordeaux FWK. I want to ferment cool. Maybe 68F. Should the must be a bit warmer 70-72F, to get the starter going and then reduce it to 68F?
D47 is a really good yeast (flavour-wise e.g. Sheridan Vineyard Washington Chardonnay) but foams like crazy so give your wine lots of room to foam. Fermenting at a lower temperature will give you less foam.

D47 is a really good yeast (flavour-wise e.g. Sheridan Vineyard Washington Chardonnay) but foams like crazy so give your wine lots of room to foam. Fermenting at a lower temperature will give you less foam.
Giving it plenty of room and lower temperatures.

Whatever your fermentation must temperature is, it's fine to use for your starter. Just bear in mind that the temperature difference between your starter culture and the wine should be no more than 10C/18F when you pitch it.

I like Scott Labs guide to yeast starter preparation. For home winemaker qantities, I like to use a water bath to keep the temperature up; commercial quantites (multiple litres of culture) are somewhat self-sustaining...

Whatever your fermentation must temperature is, it's fine to use for your starter. Just bear in mind that the temperature difference between your starter culture and the wine should be no more than 10C/18F when you pitch it.

I like Scott Labs guide to yeast starter preparation. For home winemaker qantities, I like to use a water bath to keep the temperature up; commercial quantites (multiple litres of culture) are somewhat self-sustaining...
I pitch yeast when the starter is within 2 degrees F of the Must. Don’t want to shock those little guys.

From a practical point of view the normal temperature swings are greater than a four degree F lower temp. ,,, When measuring a ferment it is typically 1C warmer than air temp. It will vary depend on how fast the ferment is (lag etc) tank volume (insulation)

If you were running 10C / 20F away from optimum I would be concerned.

Latest posts

Back