wowwwwwwww..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kendo

Reaction score
just got back from a night of wine sipping..:))...my pal"s dad made a blend last year, it was old vine zin from clement hills, washington state merlot, and petite syrah from Amador..OMG!!!!!!!:HB..THE BEST BOTTLE OF WINE IVE HAD IN A LONG TIME!!!!..his recipe was 2 lugs of ovz 1 lug of merlot. 1 lug petite syrah...i cannot believe how good this wine was.. he gave me a bottle , im saving it for xmas day...so so good, im making this blend!!!!!!!!!!!!!:try

This sounds interesting..got me excited...What are lugs? Is this a ratio term? I will be making a batch soon, Thinking of 70% Zin_oldvine 20%Carignane 10% petite Syrah.
Maybe I should change from Carignane to Merlot? What quantity ratio did that wine have? In your experience, what would the taste change be, between the Carignane and merlot.

Last edited:
A lug is usually 36 pounds of grapes. At 3 pounds of grapes to make 1 bottle of wine, a 36 pound lug will make a full case.

I wonder if it would have a similar taste like yours if I simply bought those three bottles and blended according to the ratio stated?

Cheers!
Bob

I wonder if it would have a similar taste like yours if I simply bought those three bottles and blended according to the ratio stated?

Cheers!
Bob

Yes, it would be similar, but to get the full benefit, once the wines are blended, it will need time to integrate. I would give the blend 6 to 12 months to fully integrate. It's possible to have some oxidation issues if you open the bottles, blend them, then recork for several months. Get a can of that wine saver spray, which is either argon or nitrogen; spray it in the blended bottle before corking.

Thanks, Robie I think I might try it with a screw cap bottle so I can top it up to the very top.

:sm
Bob

Thanks, Robie I think I might try it with a screw cap bottle so I can top it up to the very top.

:sm
Bob

Heck yes. It wouldn't take but a few months to get a really good idea.

In fact, mixing it and drinking it right on the spot will tell you a lot, too, at least enough to determine if you like the blend or not.

If I were you, I would try it in a heartbeat.

Latest posts

Back