WineXpert Would you add raisins to this kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would. A kit W/O a grapepack or raisins can't compare to one with one. It's an inexpensive $4 add-on that will make a big difference in solids ie mouthfeel that you will really apeciate down the road. Raisins are especially suited for Italian varietals. Go to Whole Foods and get a pound of organic flame raisins. Course chop them and place into a cheese cloth bag and tie it off. Punch the bag down several times a day while it's in Primary.

I just got the raisins from whole foods! Now to find some cheese cloth. I think I wil leave some of them whole because it would look cool of they plump back up and look like grapes in my must.

I sometimes use 1-gallon paint-straining bags from Home Depot. They were quite inexpensive. I soaked it in K-meta solution before I used it. Haven't had any adverse effects.

Arden

Try the hardware store. You can also use the plastic paint strainer bags and tie them off. Make sure to sanitize them in K-Meta.

kell1572 said:
I just got the raisins from whole foods!  Now to find some cheese cloth.  I think I wil leave some of them whole because it would look cool of they plump back up and look like grapes in my must. 

Hey, looks like you found this forum also George, glad to have you here also!

I started this same kit last summer thinking it would be an early drinker. Many on these forums suggested that in fact this kit benefited greatly from some aging. As usual these folks were spot on. I bottle several splits (375ml bottles) of every kit to taste each month or so before getting into the mother load. Last month (9 months) I pulled the cork on a split and for the first time thought WOW this is getting really good. Being one of my first kits I followed the instructions closely, only tweak was addition of 2 American Oak Spirals for 4 weeks (could have stayed longer but being a newbie I was scared to over oak). I do wish I would have known about the organic red flame grapes or the grape packs George sells. Now I always add grapes if the kit doesn't come with them. I just rinse them off and add them to primary with or without cheesecloth. I don't cut them up but do squeeze them every day or so. Give this one some time and you will be very pleased.

If you don't have the cheesecloth handy, try using knee high nylon stockings. Our Walgreens usually has specials on them for 3/$1. Use them once and then throw them out. No muss, no fuss.
You would smush them everyday as usual.

ibglowin said:
I would. A kit W/O a grapepack or raisins can't compare to one with one. It's an inexpensive $4 add-on that will make a big difference in solids ie mouthfeel that you will really apeciate down the road. Raisins are especially suited for Italian varietals. Go to Whole Foods and get a pound of organic flame raisins. Course chop them and place into a cheese cloth bag and tie it off. Punch the bag down several times a day while it's in Primary.
A pound for how much volume? Also, if you will be adding sugar to the must, measure out a cupful and sprinkle on the raisins as you chop them. Makes them less "sticky" and much easier to chop.

1lb for 6 gallons is what the kit manufacturers include in the Italian kits. Remember raisins will add some sugar as well!

the key in mop is not to chpo at all but let them rehydrate themselves and they will intern give off ther flavore to the wine sort of a infusion,,but don't chop .....

Latest posts

Back