WineXpert Would like to make a kit I can drink soon!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francie

Reaction score
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif

Okay, here is my situation
smiley19.gif
. So far, I have rather high end kits in bulk aging.(SuperTuscan, Barbaresco, French Chardonnay, andLE Chenin Blanc).This is my first go around at wine making. My goal is to not drink these for about 8 months if I can hold out. I really really really want to start drinking something soon!! Which kits (preferrably red) are quick to drink? I thought of the World Vineyard kits George is getting in (something not to heavy or not to thin).

My husband and I go through at least 5-7 bottles per week and purchasing $10 to $15 bottles is killing my bank account!!

Any thoughts?

Francie

The Vintner's Reserve White kits are quick to drink and pretty good. The Italian Pinot Grigio is very good for a lower end kit. It is basically ready to drink after the bottle shock wears off. It will get better after a few months in the bottle but isn't bad as a young wine.

For a red, the Vintner'sReserveBourgeron Rouge is an early drinker.As well, it will be better after a year in the bottle but is quite acceptable to the palette after the bottle shock wears off in about amonth in the bottle.The only other VR red kit I have made was the Cabernet Sauvignon. It was a bit thin, not bad though. I have had mine in the bottle a year though, it is now quite nice and I added extra oak to it so this one. I don't know if I can whole heartedly recommend it though, particularly for a quick to drink wine.

The Mist kits are ready to drink very quick but it sounds like you like the dry wines so I don't know if you like those or not.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif
Edited by: smurfe

Francie said:
My husband and I go through at least 5-7 bottles per week and purchasing $10 to $15 bottles is killing my bank account!!

Any thoughts?

Francie
My first thought is "You go girl". I thought my wife and I enjoyed wine too much. You are right on par with us.
smiley32.gif

I have two bulk aging and one sitting in bottles for another 6 months (min.). I would say buy wine in the 5-8 dollar range. The 5-8 is my our price range for the everyday wine. There are plenty of quality wines out there in that price range.

Winesnob!
I lurked for several weeks prior to firstposting in Oct., and I have not seen you for awhile. Glad to see you post again!! I know how it goes with work,kids and all, mine are 9, 6 and 2!!! Anyway, you are right, there are some great wines under $10. I just get to the store and go nuts!!!!(like a kid in a candy store--cannot wait to try them all! End up buying a case for the 10% discount!! I did try this Italian Nebbiano?? last night at dinner. Excellent for around $16 I must go find a bottle today!! (See....there goes all my money)

Francie, I perferr the red wines also, and have made the Shiraz Appleman is talking about. I did add some "black" banana's for a thicker/heavier wine along with some vanilla beans and I think it turned out really nice.

Francie said:
Winesnob!
I lurked for several weeks prior to firstposting in Oct., and I have not seen you for awhile. Glad to see you post again!! I know how it goes with work,kids and all, mine are 9, 6 and 2!!! Anyway, you are right, there are some great wines under $10. I just get to the store and go nuts!!!!(like a kid in a candy store--cannot wait to try them all! End up buying a case for the 10% discount!! I did try this Italian Nebbiano?? last night at dinner. Excellent for around $16 I must go find a bottle today!! (See....there goes all my money)
Francie,
I've been very busy at work. I read some posts and just as I am about to reply or post, something comes up. I 99.9% of the time post from work so it happens quite a bit.
I think you meant Nebbiolo. A little lesson...Nebbiolo is a grape best grown in Piemonte and produces great Barbaresco and Barolos. But, if you can find it, also makes a great Lange Nebbiolo. There are several producers that make this at a very descent price because it is grown outside Barabesco and Barolo, but still in the Lange area. I've had some very nice ones for under $10.

That Shiraz sounds real nice, I think I might try that one with adding the bananas. A friend also mentioned the Luna Rossa, but I do love a good Shiraz, also the Bourgeron Rouge sounds very appealing.....hmmm. It's good to have choices, then again, why not split it with a friend and do both!!

Winesnob--thank you for the correct spelling. No wonder I liked it--Barolo and Barbaresco!!!

Francie said:
Winesnob!
I did try this Italian Nebbiano?? last night at dinner. Excellent for around $16 I must go find a bottle today!! (See....there goes all my money)

I have 30 bottles of it sitting here
smiley2.gif
Too bad you couldn't obtain one of the kits from last years Wine Expert Limited Edition series. I don't know if there are still any of them available anywhere.It is going to be a very good wine.
smiley32.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Smurfe,

No Way!!!! I am always a day late (year) and a dollar short!!! Waaaaaaa!! Maybe they will bring it back next year.

smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif

Francie said:
Smurfe,

No Way!!!! I am always a day late (year) and a dollar short!!! Waaaaaaa!! Maybe they will bring it back next year.

smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif

It seems to be a very popular wine from the reviews. Maybe they will put it into the regular line-up. They have done that in the past with Limited Edition kits.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

I asked the same question to my local dealer about an early drinkable kit. He and a few others suggested the MEZZA LUNA red. I made it and bottled it on monday. At bottling it wasn't bad. I think when I give a few as gifts in a couple of weeks that it will be near ready to drink. Island mist kits are pretty much ready to go at bottling time also. Something wlse to occupy your time might be a no boil beer kit??? That is how I got through fall time, leaving my summer wines alone.

Latest posts

Back