RJ Spagnols Wood infusion while Clearing (Grand Cru Chardonnay)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoebiedoo

Reaction score
I started a batch of this and it's now in the finishing stage. My wife (primary consumer) tasted it and was desiring more oak. My question is, I have some med French oak CHIPs on hand with an extra infusion bag. Will this cloud the wine? should I get some spirals, any thoughts?

Never added oak this late in the game.

thanks

Steve

I would only add one ounce if they are chips as they will drop it all in about a week. You can always add more but you can't take it out if its over oaked.

I would only add one ounce if they are chips as they will drop it all in about a week. You can always add more but you can't take it out if its over oaked.

So as long as they're in the infusion bag they won't make the wine cloudy? that was my big concern.

Thanks

Steve

I'd suggest talking with your local supply store, actually; you can buy cubes that are specifically designed for the finishing stage (I have some I plan to use with my port). Apparently the differences are subtle but, if left in for too long, the finishing cubes don't overflavor.

I also suggest cubes because they are WAY easier to get out of the carboy.

Back