Wishing to join the Hobby

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearnosurf

Junior
Reaction score
I've been doing quite a bit of research on the subject, trying to get a feel for how expensive it will be for me to start.

My question is what do I need, exactly, to make a kit wine?

I've studied the list on this site, and a few others. It seems no "basic equipment package, is 100% good to go.

Here's a list offered on this site: Basic Package

airlock

triple hydrometer

stopper

racking cane

7.6 gallon bucket, lid & spigot

sanitizer

bottle filler

6 gallon carboy

tubing

will I need anything else? I see I'll need a spoon & carboy, bottle brushes. Is that it?

Give George a call at the toll free number listed on this home site. Maybe he can personalize a basic equipment package with a wine kit included at a price you can live with.

I agree with the Hipster....
smiley36.gif
Give George a call. I am sure he can whip something up.

I don't think, though, that the bottle filler is really needed for a starter-kit. I bought one many moons ago, and to me, it was more trouble than it was worth. I had much more wine on my basement floor because of it. What I have, however, is a tubing clamp which makes it a lot easier on me. Here's the link to what I'm talking about:

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=4860

Depending on your fine motor skills and your eye for judgement, I don't know if you really need a racking cane, if you are doing a kit wine.Just my opinion.

Instead, I would get a bottle brush and a fizz-ex (a degasser which fits onto the end of a power drill to get rid of excess CO2). Ipersonally think those are much more useful.

I have heard mixed results with the spigot-primary. Some have leakers, and I've never thought, "gee, I wish I had a spigot on my primary" in my 2 years of winemaking. Maybe tomorrow I'll think that, but right now, I think that might be unnecessary.

If you decide to branch out and do some country wines, I'd recommend Terry Garey's book, "The Joy of Home Winemaking." It is a good step-by-step book on how to make all sorts of wine. It also has a good write-up on what all ingredients do/mean. There are plenty of recipes and it is written in a light, humorous way. I would definitely recommend it - even if you "just" want to make kit wines.

All in all, I think your basic list is great -- these are just my suggestions, and you can pick and choose as you'd like to. I bought a lot of (&*^% because I thought it sounded good in theory, but in reality, it wasn't (for me, at least).

Take care, and give George a call!
smiley36.gif

Welcome to the wonderful hobby of winemaking!
smiley32.gif

MartinaEdited by: MedPretzel

Fearnosurf,<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I've just started making wine and heartily agree with the Hippie and Martina.George is soooooo helpful. I bought the premium kit to start. My thought being that, if I didn't have the right tools and it was too difficult, I would get frustrated.So far I have used everything in the kit (except the bottler and floor corker... not quite there yet).

I have already placed another order for carboy handles and haulers, along with a bag de-capper. Thought I was going to have to call in the 12<SUP>th</SUP> Air Force to get the cap off that first bag of juice! And ... since I didn’t want to give my husband another hernia I thought the carboy haulers would be a “good thing”. Aren’t I a good wife???
smiley36.gif

Just give George a call. Margaret

I'm with MedPretzel on the spigot bucket. We've never had one and never wished for one. We just use the tubing and rack like we do from carboy to carboy.

And right on with the suggestion about Terry Garey's book. We're on our 2nd copy after loaning it out. If I could have only 1 wine book, her book would be it. Being a non-scientific person, her writing doesn't make me feel stupid.
smiley32.gif

You don't really need a bottle filler if you're just trying the hobby out. We went several years without one. But like everyone else said, "Call George!" And good luck to you. We'll be looking for updates.

Woah! Thanks Margaret! Yes! You do need a corker! A double lever corker works just fine and quite well if you have all wine bottles without the lip (or flail). You'll need about 50 corks for 1 kit (in case you have goofs, it's always better to have extras). One kit wine usually makes 35 bottles of vino. A lot of people like the floor corkers, but for your initial investment, I'd really go with the double-lever. If you love this hobby as much as everyone else does on this forum, you'll probably soon want a floor corker. So, if you've already got "the bug" you might as well go with the floor corker. And #9 corks.

Start saving those bottles!

Martina

I have 25 starter packages, but I am always willing to customize one just for you. Ask everyone else so kindly said, "Just give me a call!"

Thanks for all the replies! My father-in-law has said he has alot of
wine making equipment he no longer uses. I'm going to check this
weekend and see what's usable, and then you'll be hearing from me!
(maybe Saturday :) uh... if I can convince the wife ;) )

fearnosurf said:
uh... if I can convince the wife ;) )

Ummmm. I am a wife too, but..... She doesn't need convincing. Just make a couple of 28-day kit wines for her (what she likes to drink) and that's convincing enough.
smiley2.gif
smiley36.gif

Then keep her at a "maintenence dose" when you get your supplies.
smiley36.gif

Works like a charm on my husband.
smiley2.gif
Haven't gotten one complaint yet that I've expanded from 3 gallons (1 3-gallon carboy) to about 65 gallons!!!

Latest posts

Back