WineXpert Winexpert Chilean Merlot - tweaks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

litetrek

Junior
Reaction score
I have 6 gallons of the chilean merlot kit that has been bulk aging for about 16 months. The wine is a little light for my taste. Does anyone know of a tweak that will give me a bigger taste?

Someone suggested blending one bottle of black current wine cordial but I cant find that anywhere. I did find a bottle of blackberry wine cordial but I dont know how that might work. The merlot isn't bad so I dont want to mess it up but it would be much better with a bigger flavor. Its a little like a diluted red wine right now..

First of all get some tannin rich might be all you need or/and buy a bottle of the blackberry and do a taste test I would definitely go with the tannin rich though it does do the trick! I won't make a red without it anymore! Visit morebeer.com this is exactly what your looking for. Btw I made the same kit next time you might want to use lil less water hope this helps!
Barbie
Oh and I forgot to congratulate you on leaving it age in the carboy! I usually leave it sit for at least 8 months to a year, sixteen WOW:HB

Last edited:
Thanks for the idea. I'll check it out. I added some medium roast wood chips for about 10 days to add tannin and the tannin levels seem about right to me. The oak infusion dramatically improved my "product". It still tastes/feels like diluted wine to me though. It lacks something. I'll call it bigness even though Merlot isnt supposed to have a big flavor. I would call the chilean merlot "merlot light".

As I said in my original post, the wine isn't bad its just too light for my taste. I dont want to tweak it to the point of making it worse

I wouldnt buy this kit again. I was talked into it by the store owner because he didn't have anything with grape skins in stock. I like merlot but prefer malbecs and cabs.

You might wanna try getting a vintners harvest cab concentrate and mixing the two taste test of course to see the % you like some of my best wines have been tweeks don't give up on it yet
Barbie

tannin

You might wanna try getting a vintners harvest cab concentrate and mixing the two taste test of course to see the % you like some of my best wines have been tweeks don't give up on it yet
Barbie

Hey. How much tannin riche do you use for a 6 gallon batch. It is a bit expensive

You won't need anymore than the smallest pack I know it's a lil expensive but it all comes down to how good do ya want your wine to be? The best it can be or just a so, so and the website has all the dosage info Btw your gonna be tempted to buy more than you need but don't! Expiration date
Barbie

Barbie

Where would i get something like that ... i'll google it and see. but I've never heard of that product.

Back