WineXpert Winexpert 2012 Limited Editions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.winexpert.com/le2012

• Argentine Malbec Bonarda
  • Argentine Torrontes
  • Portuguese Aragones Cabernet Sauvignon
  • Washington Riesling Chenin Blanc
  • Italian Nebbiolo with Grape Skins

I made the 2011 South African Sauvignon Blanc / Semillon blend and couldn't have been more satisfied. I wanted to do it because I thought the blend worked together very well and was proven right.

I'm thinking about the Argentine Torrontes, but am wondering about it from a purely value perspective. With few exceptions, I can buy a good Torrontes for under $10(US) and given that the wine peaks at only 6-12 months (according to WE), this kit is probably similar to their Vinter's Reserve series.

Where am I going wrong?

Tony P.

I made the Spagnols RQ Torrentes last year and found it to be very floral (violets) with a bold taste, which sounds a bit different from this LE description of more delicate and citrusy. Every time I drink a bottle I'm not sure if I like it or not - it's different from most whites I drink.
I expect this is much better quality than the Vintners Reserve kit so if you like a Torrentes I would think it would be good value at roughly $4 a bottle.
If you like reds, the Nebbiolo would my recommendation.

I made the 2011
I'm thinking about the Argentine Torrontes, but am wondering about it from a purely value perspective.
Tony P.

Hey Tony,

In Argentina they make a really fun drink (forgot what it is called) from the Torrontes. They pour it over a full glass of ice and squeeze half a lime into it. It is really nice as a porch-pounder, especially those that aren't big-time wine drinkers. I really like it.

I'm eyeing the Argentinian malbec. I have never done one of these LE kits. Does anyone have any thoughts on how they compare to the Rj Spagnols winery series. I have an order for the RJ spangnols WS malbec that has been delayed with my local guy, but I know he takes orders for the WE seasonal releases. But as far as I know, the winery series is less expensive and better quality???

I'm eyeing the Argentinian malbec. I have never done one of these LE kits. Does anyone have any thoughts on how they compare to the Rj Spagnols winery series. I have an order for the RJ spangnols WS malbec that has been delayed with my local guy, but I know he takes orders for the WE seasonal releases. But as far as I know, the winery series is less expensive and better quality???

I guess the better question would be do you want a straight Malbec kit or something that just has Malbec in it. The WS Malbec is Chilean and has a grape pack...the Winexpert LE kit is a blend of Malbec and Bonarda grapes (and it's obviously Argentinian). It does have the allure of something you won't readily find.

Course, you could just do both (over time). The WS Malbec probably is not going anywhere, and both Winexpert and Cellar Craft just came out with regular Argentinian Malbec kits (with grape skins).

I've got a batch of the WE Argentine Malbec going. Tasted it a few days ago and it's already delicious!! Can't wait to try this one a year from now!

One of my new favorite commercial wines is an Argentinian Malbec Bonarda blend. It's Alma Negra.

I winner if the grapes are from the Mendoza region too.

D

Could anyone comment on the WE LE PORTUGUESE ARAGONES.

My local is holding the last one for me.

Latest posts

Back