Winemaking Tool Box

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

Reaction score
Since I am new to winemaking and have only made kits, I do not have anything to make scratch wine. I do have the equipment that came with my kit: primary, secondary(6 gal), hydrometer, tubing, bottle filler, air locks, bugs(solid and drilled), auto siphon, spoon, bottle tree and rinser, carboy brush, wine whip, hand corker, a couple different sanitizersand some miscellaneous stuff.

What basic chemicals, yeast, and other equipment would you recommend having on hand for starting scratch wines?

Thanks in advance... Everyone has been very helpful.

1. <LI>sugar</LI>
    <LI>Wine Conditioner</LI>
    <LI>1 gallon glass jug</LI>
    <LI>bentonite</LI>
    <LI>pectic enzyme</LI>
    <LI>acid blend</LI>
    <LI>acid test kit</LI>
    <LI>campden tablets</LI>
    <LI>tannin</LI>
    <LI>imagination</LI>
    <LI>sense of humor</LI>
    <LI>straining bag</LI>

Some chemicals you will need:

powdered Potassium Metabisulfite and(campden tabs for small batches if you don't have a good gram scale), Acid Blend, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Sorbate, Pectic Enzyme,Grape Tannin, Yeast Nutrient, Yeast Energizer

Thanks everyone, any other equipment that you would recommend and what kind of acid test kit is best for a beginner?

Steve,

This test kit is all you need and it is very easy to use

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=5400

In addition to whatever yeast you choose for your wine it is always good to have some extra on hand in case you have issues with a stuck fermentation.

This is a good choice:

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=3410

Depending on what size batches you do you will also need the correct size carboys or jugs.

A great article to help you get started:

[url]http://www.finevinewines.com/How-to-Make-a-Simple-Country-Wi ne.htm[/url]

Edited by: masta

Funnel

Wine thief

baster (great for forcing sanitizer through tubing and grabbing small samples)

An extra hydrometer is good to have...they sure break easily
smiley19.gif
a good recipe book. WINEMAKERS Recipe handbook ...by Raymond Massaccesi...a good basic book, under $3....Good Luck!!!!Edited by: Northern Winos

Funnel, yes - the big kind with integral strainer (removable.)

Tubing clamp

A ton of airlocks with bungs - Making one gallon batches really goes
through them

If the wine whip is plastic, for sure get the Fizz-X (and cordless drill for
Xmas!)

Three ring notebook for all your recipes, notes, log sheets, etc.

I found smaller 4-gallon food grade plastic pails for primary fermentation
at a local whole foods store. They got their canola based mayonnaise
(comes in plastic bags inside) in them and just gave them away. They are
great for small scratch batches up to three gallons.

Did someone say patience?
smiley2.gif

I was going to add something but you all have covered it I believe. Maybe a Ph meter. I sure use mine. I also have a good Batch record in a file I could send you. I even use my batch recordwhether I make scratch wine or Kit wine. E-mail at [email protected] if interested in the batch record.

A good variety of different strains of Yeast. Keep them in the frige and they will keep for a very long time.

And as Northern suggested, an extra Hydrometer. I broke mine this morning and early shopping tomorrow for mewill be a trip to Fermentables in NLR for another one
smiley7.gif
Edited by: Waldo

Plastic spoons with long handles for stirring musts.

Extra straining bags.

Maybe a digital camera.
smiley36.gif

Since you are on a spending spree, get a couple more good books....WINEMAKING...by Anderson & Anderson---good information and recipes for fruit wines as well as grapes. THE JOY OF HOME WINEMAKING...by Terry Garey...easy reading, unusual recipes...have fun.

When I got into fruit wines, I found that having a number of different size carboys was a big asset...even smaller glass ware [1/2 gal...1.5 L...etc] and the bungs to fit them..There are so many things that can help making wine easier. There is no end to the list. That's why we need George.
smiley2.gif

Did anyone mention a scale??? Like to weigh the fruits and sugar, got to have one that goes to about 20-25# pounds...at least I use one all the time. Also a small postal or diet scale is good, goes up to 1#pound, good for measuring onces of sulfite's, etc.

Northern, (No, not the fish!)

Good add about the scales!
smiley32.gif
I use our scales a lot. We use them when we're bagging fruit for freezing and later use. We write the fruit weight on the outside of the bag so we know exactlyhow muchwe have so we can plan ahead. I also like to use it when I measure sugar. It is so much faster and neater to pour sugar into the scale bowl, rather than using a measuring cup.

Steve said:
Since I am new to winemaking and have only made kits, I do not have anything to make scratch wine. I do have the equipment that came with my kit: primary, secondary(6 gal), hydrometer, tubing, bottle filler, air locks, bugs(solid and drilled), auto siphon, spoon, bottle tree and rinser, carboy brush, wine whip, hand corker, a couple different sanitizersand some miscellaneous stuff.

What basic chemicals, yeast, and other equipment would you recommend having on hand for starting scratch wines?

Thanks in advance... Everyone has been very helpful.

BUGS? You have Bugs? My kit didn't come with bugs
smiley7.gif

smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif
Edited by: smurfe

They make an excellent snack while sipping on a glass of wine!!!
smiley9.gif
Edited by: Steve

Latest posts

Back