WineMakers Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure how many I will enter this year. Last year I entered 8 wines with only one from a kit- that one won Mosti Monidale's only gold medal. It was a Mosti Renaissance Amarone kit, which beat out their Meglioli Amarones. The others were from grapes I grew. Altogether I got 6 medals, including a gold for LaCrescent. I was lucky in that the ones that medaled were judged by cold hardy grape veterans. The two wines that didn't medal were judged by some less than stellar judges, especially of dry white wines. One judge rated the Chardonel as SOUR, while the other two judges rated it as refreshingly acidic and extremely aromatic- so yes the quality of the juge has an effect. I have some wines from 2009 that are as good now as the ones that medaled last year, so time will tell what I might enter.

Since it is an amateur competition, this will probably be my last year to enter.

I'm not sure how many I will enter this year. Last year I entered 8 wines with only one from a kit- that one won Mosti Monidale's only gold medal. It was a Mosti Renaissance Amarone kit, which beat out their Meglioli Amarones. The others were from grapes I grew. Altogether I got 6 medals, including a gold for LaCrescent. I was lucky in that the ones that medaled were judged by cold hardy grape veterans. The two wines that didn't medal were judged by some less than stellar judges, especially of dry white wines. One judge rated the Chardonel as SOUR, while the other two judges rated it as refreshingly acidic and extremely aromatic- so yes the quality of the juge has an effect. I have some wines from 2009 that are as good now as the ones that medaled last year, so time will tell what I might enter. .

LOL! I had the same issue. I had three judges and each one had a different opinion at each end of the spectrum. One judge thought my pinot noir tasted great another one thought it had a chemical taste. Very frustrating!!

I'm not an expert on human anatomy but I was told that a human taste bud can only taste 6 things before it gets tired.

with all the various categories, it's kinda confusing to decide which to choose. Ice wine? Huh? WHAT is that? I have a sparkling blueberry/billberry I am considering entering...

I am also going to enter this year just not sure which ones yet. I have a total of 28 different kinds and ages to pick from. Last year I entered 15 of my wines and recieved 6 medals. This year I'm going to go a little easier and pick out the better ones in my opinion. I have 12 wines entered in a local competition here in North Jersey on Friday so I will probably see how I do there before I make a decision. I am going to drive my entries to Vermont myself sometime in February if anyone lives close enough and wants me to bring theirs. I have friends that live in Lake George, NY and it's a good excuse to make a visit! Good Luck All!!

I'm working hard to develop the knowledge and skill to possibly be able to enter mine in the future. Not there yet though.

Back