Wine Temp

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flafemina

Reaction score
I started my new batch of red wine from juice. Primary fermentation is finished with a steady temp of 70 degrees. Now that the wine is in a glass carboy the weather has not been cooperating and the wine has crept up to 75 degrees. Is this going to ruin my wine? Temps are supposed to drop this week.

75 wont hurt anything, infact it may help push some gas out of the wine. The one thing that you should focus on if possible is trying to keep it consistent and out of sunlight. In my opinion, bouncing temps do more harm them slightly warmer steady temps. A basement or crawl space is ideal but not everyone has this luxury (including myself) I try to find an interior closet to store the carboys in and doing my best to maintain constant temps in the house. I also put a sweater over the carboys to aid against sudden temp changes.

What do you think about aging the wine in a garage? That's really all I have no basement and I am concerned it might get too cold.

I live just outside of NYC. Doesn't get too cold but in a garage it may be tricky.

If it's an attached garage, you should be fine. Wine CAN get slushy if you have very low temps for extended periods--just keep your eye on it. Put vodka in the airlock tho because water in it will probably freeze. The garage is a better place than being stored at 70 degrees.

Back