Wine Tasting Sheets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolishWineP

Reaction score
I am going to try hosting a wine tasting and am looking for any hints I can get. Also, I would like to supply my guests with tasting guide sheets that they can use to record their thoughts about each wine. I would at least like to know what criteria should be included on the tasting guide sheets. Of course I won't be able to host the party until after deer hunting is over, but it doesn't hurt to plan ahead.

Well, I can't really tell you what really worked and which didn't but these are the ideas my husband and I came up with:

First we de-labeled all of the wines and placed a little card with the wine label and some information (vintage, kind, date bottled). It was a flip-over card, and each was right next to the bottle.

2005-09-12_124046_winefestcard.JPG

Secondly, we had little sheets of paper on the table for people to note their blends. Unfortunately, no one did this.

Thirdly, we showed what aging does to a wine by placing a 2003 and a 2004 and a 2005 apple wine. People were surprised at the difference.

Fourthly, we offered a lot of non-alcoholic beverages, but mostly water was drunk.

You also might want to look for a party-supply place. We had little Dixie cups for the wine. We tried to find see-thru ones, but couldn't. So if you want to show off your wines' clarity, I would suggest this.

Another suggestion I would make (I didn't do this) is if you have general information on how a wine is made. A short description of your own wines might add interest. For example, for my hibiscus wine, this might have been something interensting:

"Hibiscus spp. is a genus, one of many of the mallow family, each of which contains many species. The tart, refreshing taste of hibiscus flowers comes from the many acids found in this tropical plant. These acids also account for the long history of hibiscus as a healthful plant for smooth functioning. Hibiscus has a delightful flavor that is popular in foods & beverages throughout the world. Jams, jellies & teas are also made from this bright botanical."

For food we had saltines, cheese and ham cubes, chips and whatever else anyone brought. There was a lot of food left over and given back home.

Music? We had a good mix of 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's pop. No one complained - not even my dad.

Hope this helps to get you started.
smiley1.gif
Edited by: MedPretzel

Why did you take the labels off of the bottles? Did you just supply plain paper or did you have tasting guides? I like the idea of some information on each wine. I never would have thought of that.

We took the labels off because we thought people wouldn't feel comfortable trying "different" wines. They'd probably have stuck to the grape ones. We offered lavender, chrysanthemum, tomato, rose-hip, juniper, chocolate mint, basil and some "normal" fruit wines.

Of course, you probably don't have any of those types of wines where people would think, "I ain't drinkin' no flowers!" but we did. Hence, we took the labels off.

We were going to do a tasting sheet, but decided against it, becuase we thought it was too "stiff." I ended up asking people whatdirection of winesthey prefer and guided them to what was the closest.

Joseph,

Great site! I'm very excited about the tasting guides and sheets! Thank you! Between you and MedPretzel I can already see this coming together! I'll be hitting the dollar stores in the area for wine bottle dresses so I don't have to take the labels off the bottles.

We had a daughter getting married next summer and I'm going to try to find really cheap glass wine glasses to use instead of plastic. We could test them at a wine tasting!

Thanks for all the help!
smiley32.gif

PWP,

We haven't had a wine tasting but am working on a Scotch tasting. Here’s what I plan to do. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I’ll place several cans of paint, books and a few footed cake plates on the table to create stands at different levels.Then I’ll cover the stands and the entire table with a nice tartan cloth all bunched up. For additional table decoration I think pine, pine cones, candles, raffia and touches of gold ribbon. Place cheap gold candle saucers (Dollar Tree variety) on the top of each stand and then placed the Scotch in the saucer. Aye, it’ll make a vera nice show. Then place a map of <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>Scotland</st1:place></st1:country-region> on the table with the different distillerieslocations marked with pins. On a tray near by I’ll place lots of mismatched small glasses. (I’ve collected a bunch over time) For background music I plan to put an assortment of Celtic music, bagpipes and jazz in the CD player and put it on “shuffle”. For food I think several breads, butter, cheeses, nuts, and shortbread.I'll preprint the tastingsheet with the name of each malt and a scale from 1-10 with a section for notes. Also have several Scotch rating books to place around to help folks find the words to describe the scotch. I’d love to find a piper to greet folks as they arrive and burn a little peat in the fireplace but that probably won’t happen. Piper too $$ and I don’t think there’s any peat to be had in this country! Oh but to dream……

I think this would translate to a wine tasting very easily ….

Argentine wine .. play the Tango, for French wine maybe a little Edith Piaf, Muscadine perhaps bluegrass. Decorate the table with bunches of artificial grapes, corks, lots of candles and raffia or whatever you have around the house or in the yard. Have a glass or two of your wine and just get creative!! Have fun

Oh yeah, one more thing. I always try to invite a few characterswhoare just right of center to keeps things interesting.
smiley36.gif

Your Scotch tasting sounds like a good time! There's peet in Way Northern Minnesota. Can't help you on the pipes player. All my friends are at least just off center
smiley36.gif
so it shouldn't be any trouble at all finding my cast of characters!

PWP,

Hey, we have friends in Duluth, MN ... maybe they can find some peat for us Southeners. Thanks for the information, as I had no idea we had any in the US.Those customs guys just get real upset when you try to bring it in from Scotland LOL

Good Luck with your wine tasting. mwm

Unfortunately it's the wrong part of MN. It's in the NW, not east. That's iron ore over that way!

Latest posts

Back