Wine tastes acidic, pH is 3.8????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abefroman

Reaction score
I did my first taste test today and it has a fairly strong acid taste, but the pH is 3.8.

Any ideas what this is?

Other than that its light bodied, wet, strawberry and raspberry notes, a very little hint of spice & pepper, and I'm getting a little carbonation.

Overall its a drinkable but not good wine at this point. (its only like 3 weeks old)

My uneducated guess would be that it's not adged enough....PPP ;)

Let it age - you could also cold stabilize it - that will lower the TA.

Is it normal for it to taste that acidic with the pH of 3.8?

How do I cold stabilize? Put the carboy in the fridge overnight, then rack in the morning?

pH and taste of acidity can be different. this is becuase of the differences in acids and how they taste. a wine of 3.8 might taste more acidic than a wine of 3.5 because of the acids it contains. some acids affect pH more than others. for example, tartaric acid is a stronger acid and will drop pH faster than citric. therefore the amount of acid to get a certain pH will vary depending on acids used.

Is it normal for it to taste that acidic with the pH of 3.8?

How do I cold stabilize? Put the carboy in the fridge overnight, then rack in the morning?

Yes - put it in the fridge - but leave it for a 3-4 weeks. Rack off the TA crystals when done.

Another suggestion is (if the SO2 is low enough) you could always try Malolactic Fermentation and convert some of the "tart" acids out. This will soften you wine in just a couple of weeks.

Another suggestion is (if the SO2 is low enough) you could always try Malolactic Fermentation and convert some of the "tart" acids out. This will soften you wine in just a couple of weeks.

That might be a good idea, that should raise the alcohol too right? The wine wasn't dry at all.

How do I start MLF?

Ah, it still might be a good idea, how do I get it to start? Add bacteria?

Ah, it still might be a good idea, how do I get it to start? Add bacteria?

Yup - but i don't have much experience doing MLF - so as far as suggestions on what bacteria to add in - i don't have any. There are several folks in the forum that can more insight into this.

you would purchase a MLB starter cluture either over the internet or at your local beer/wine shop. I recommend the freeze dried (direct innoculation) variety.

I did my first taste test today and it has a fairly strong acid taste, but the pH is 3.8.

Any ideas what this is?

Other than that its light bodied, wet, strawberry and raspberry notes, a very little hint of spice & pepper, and I'm getting a little carbonation.

Overall its a drinkable but not good wine at this point. (its only like 3 weeks old)

What are you making? At 3 weeks I would give it more time before making any judgements on it.

Latest posts

Back