Wine Storage/Dispenser Container

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmaleza

Junior
Reaction score
Rather than bottle my wine, I would like to put my completed wine into a stainless steel tank/barrel complete with a tap, to both store and fill bottles from. My problem is would it be ok to do this ? Could I store my 50 liters of wine in a 100 liter capacity barrel without having any effect on the wine ? I'm thinking of the trapped air !!
Also if this ok, could I at some point in time add a further 50 liters to the barrel again without affecting the existing wine ?
Apologies for this rather simplistic problem, however I cannot get my head right regarding this issue, as do not want to spoil my initial wine batch.
Thank You in Advance.

I would think that with all the air trapped in the container your asking for trouble and some flat wine.
Just open a bottle of wine, and drink half and re cork...go back after a week uncork and drink...i dont think you would want it.
You could add to a bag, which as you remove the wine, the bag collapses.no air is in it.

I would advise you to just bite the bullet and bottle your wine. Do not make the mistak that some have in the past and that is to drink the wine as you bulk age. Air and finished wine do not mix. By bottling, you only expose what you intend to drink.

Let me put it another way.. Why go through all thins trouble of making wine only to show it dis-respect at the end? This is YOUR wine. Every 750ml of it deserves it's own home.

I have a 100 liter variable capasity Stainless Steel fermenter with a valve at the bottom, as you remove wine drop the floating lid to remove the air.
all in all I would think bottling would be better.

I have a 100 liter variable capasity Stainless Steel fermenter with a valve at the bottom, as you remove wine drop the floating lid to remove the air.
all in all I would think bottling would be better.

I am a HUGE fan of VCSS tanks! They are expensive, but nothing beats the fact that you never need to worry about topping off! They also will dent, but not break.

The one piece of advice is this... Size matters. If you take the ratio of price vs volume, and break that down to "dollars per liter", I find (most of the time) that a 300l tank is the most cost effective (unless you want to go larger than 300L).

The other true benefit is footprint. What I am talking about here is that 1 200l tank has just a little less than 4 demijohns, but takes up less floorspace than 1 demijohn.

If anybody has the desire to convert to tanks, and has the means, I would strongly encourage it!

I plan to purchase a 200 liter variable volume tank in a couple of weeks and have a question about pumps. I have considered using the pump on my super jet filter but would rather have a dedicated pump. Does anyone have a suggestion on what to use? I have been making wine for about 18 years but have never used a tank.
Thanks Joe

The Shurflo water pumps work great.
They are listed as RV water pumps. Look for one that is 3.5 gal per minute and AC 115-120, not 12v dc.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

WineMaker mag this month has a article about kegging your wine rather then putting it in bottles, I have not read it, but the excerpts sound good. I personally like opening a bottle of wine, so this won't work for me.

Thanks Greg, I have looked those but was afraid I might get something with more gpm than

Latest posts

Back