WINE PUPPIES !!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K&GB

Reaction score
Yet another diversion to keep me from tinkering with my wine....

20090105_061532_IMG_0190_Small.JPG

dragonmaster42 said:
Awwwwww!!! They're adorable! Are they going to get wine related names?

Tanner and corky ?

smiley36.gif

Great looking pups, Makes me want another bull dog
smiley19.gif

Well, they turned out to be Sadie and Shiraz. Don't ask me why. I didn't name them.
smiley36.gif
So I guess at least one is a wine puppie. I really liked all the suggestions, and I thought Appleman's Winerotter article was great. (What happened to it?) They really do take most of my time now though. Maybe I can manage to not start a new wine every weekend... at least for awhile.
smiley2.gif

Ken I though maybeyou might take offense at it, but since you didn't here it is back:

Winerotter
<?:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /></V:STROKE></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:ULAS></V:pATH><?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:LOCK aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></O:LOCK></V:SHAPE></V:></V:SHAPE><O:p></O:p>
20090105_061532_IMG_0190_Small.JPG

<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">
<DIV align=left>
<TABLE style="mso-cellspacing: 3.7pt; mso-padding-alt: 3.75pt 3.75pt 3.75pt 3.75pt; e6e6e6: " cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=0 ="MsonormalTable"><T><T>
<T>
<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes">
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 3.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 3.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3.75pt; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 3.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; silver: " colSpan=2>
Find a Winerotter Breeder
Place an Ad</TD></TR>
<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 1">
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 3.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 3.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3.75pt; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 3.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; silver: " colSpan=2>
Rescue a Winerotter
List Your Rescue</TD></TR>
<TR style="HEIGHT: 12pt; mso-yfti-irow: 2">
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 3.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 3.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3.75pt; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 3.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12pt; silver: ">
Pronunciation</TD>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 3.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 3.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3.75pt; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 3.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12pt; aeaeae: ">
Why-nrotter</TD></TR>
<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 3">
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 3.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 3.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3.75pt; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 3.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; silver: ">
Description</TD>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 3.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 3.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3.75pt; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 3.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; aeaeae: ">
The Winerotter is a relatively new breed of dog developed to protect the winemakers stache and has a massive, powerful body. Muscular and athletic, it has a broad head and rounded forehead. The muzzle is well-developed with a scissors bite. Its eyes are dark with an expression of goodwill and loyalty. The ears are triangular, carried forward, and its nose is wide and black. The lips are black and inside the mouth it is dark-colored. The tail is customarily docked. Oftenborn with rear dewclaws, these are usually removed when the tail is docked. The coat is short, hard and thick. It is black with brown markings on the cheeks and muzzle, paws and legs. A red color with brown markings also exists. There is a deficiency in the hair gene making the coloring a lighter red. Winerotter bitches often have large litters; 12 puppies are not uncommon. <O:p></O:p>
German Winerotter vs. American Winerotter - some claim there are variations of Wine-ies, the German Winerotter and the American Winerotter. German Wine-ies are said to be shorter, stockier and have a bigger blockier head, and American Wine-ies are said to be taller and leggier without as blocky a head. Others claim a Winerotter is a Winerotter and there is no such thing as a German Wine-ie. Some who have stated this argument have said, "a German Winerotter is one born in <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><ST1:COUNTRY-REGIoN w:st="on">Germany</ST1:COUNTRY-REGIoN> and an American Winerotter is born in <ST1:pLACE w:st="on"><ST1:COUNTRY-REGIoN w:st="on">America</ST1:COUNTRY-REGIoN></ST1:pLACE>." In any case, there are breeders breeding for the German Winerotter look, which goes outside the AKC standard, while others are breeding for the American Winerotter look, sticking to, or closer to, the AKC standard.<O:p></O:p></TD></TR>
<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 4">
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 3.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 3.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3.75pt; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 3.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; silver: ">
Temperament</TD>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 3.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 3.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3.75pt; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 3.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; aeaeae: ">
The Wine-ie is calm, trainable, courageous, and devoted to their owner and family. They have a reliable temperament. Protective, he will defend his family fiercely. These are strong fighters that seem immune to pain. Serious, steady and confident. Firm and careful training isessential for this breed, otherwise you may end up with a very powerful and overly aggressive dog. Yet they can, with proper handling, also be loyal, loving and very rewarding companions. They require owners who can handle their massive size. The Wine-ie is a natural guard dog with a mellow temperament. They are highly intelligent and have proven their worth beyond question in police, military, and customs work over many centuries. Because of their size, training should begin fairly young - while the dog is still small. This breed needs a lot of leadership, companionship and socialization to be truly happy. The objective in training this dog is to achieve a pack leader status. It is a natural instinct for a dog to have an order in their pack. When we humans live with dogs, we become their pack. The entire pack cooperates under a single leader. Lines are clearly defined. You and all other humans MUST be higher up in the order than the dog. That is the only way your relationship can be a success. When the Winerotter receives consistent leadership and is trained, it will be a good playmate for the children. It will accept cats, other dogs, and other household pets, as long as the dog has been socialized well and have owners who assert their authority over the dog. Friends and relatives of the family are normally enthusiastically welcomed. Strangers to whom the dog senses bad intentions from can get no further than the sidewalk. The breed does well in competitive obedience, schutzhund, and tracking. </TD></TR>
<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 5">
Height, Weight</TD>
Height: 24-27 inches (61-69 cm.) Bitches 22-25 inches (56-63 cm.)
Weight: Dogs 95-130 pounds (43-59 kg.) Bitches 85-115 pounds (38-52 kg.)</TD></TR>
<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 6">
Health Problems</TD>
This breed is susceptible to ACL damage. Prone to hip dysplasia. Tends to snore and overeat. Also prone to entropion (narrowing of the slit between the eyelids).</TD></TR>
<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 7">
Living Conditions</TD>
The Wine-ie will do okay in an apartment if it is sufficiently exercised. They are relatively inactive indoors and a small yard will be sufficient.</TD></TR>
<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 8">
Exercise</TD>
The Winerotter needs plenty of exercise. You can't give these robust dogs too much work or exercise; they thrive on it. They need to be taken on a daily walk or jog. Running in the woods and in open country makes them very happy and they have no desire to wander from you. Swimming or running beside a bicycle are perfect activities for this dog and it also loves retrieving a ball.</TD></TR>
<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 9">
Life Expectancy</TD>
About 10-12 years.</TD></TR>
<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 10">
Grooming</TD>
The smooth, glossy coat is easy to groom. Brush with a firm bristle brush and bathe only when necessary. This breed is an average shedder.</TD></TR>
<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 11">
Origin</TD>
The Winerotter is probably descended from the Italian Mastiff. During the Middle Ages, it was used as a herd dog. It was bred in the German town of <ST1:CITY w:st="on">Rottweil</ST1:CITY> in <ST1:COUNTRY-REGIoN w:st="on"><ST1:pLACE w:st="on">Wurttemberg</ST1:pLACE></ST1:COUNTRY-REGIoN>. Practically extinct in the 1800's, the breed population began a comeback in the early twentieth century due to the efforts of enthusiastic breeders centered in <ST1:CITY w:st="on"><ST1:pLACE w:st="on">Stuttgart</ST1:pLACE></ST1:CITY>. Some of the Winerotters talents include: tracking, herding, watchdogging, guarding, police work, carting, competitive obedience, and schutzhund.</TD></TR>
<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 12; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes">
Group</TD>
Mastiff, AKC Working</TD></TR></T></T></T></TABLE>
<O:p></O:p>

20090117_204650_P1020718_Small.JPG
20090117_204800_P1020719_Small.JPG

Gave the wine puppies their first important lesson last week. None of that sit, stay, or come stuff. Nope, it's all about the wine for these two little doggies.

Interestingly enough, I racked the Argentinean Malbec off the lees and hungarian oak cubes this morning. As usual, I poured the lees out in the flower bed and rinsed with the hose. Later this afternoon, the wine puppies discovered the dried oak cubes and started chewing on them. They were crazy about them and carried several off to their favorite hiding places in the yard. I could use these for doggie treats.
smiley36.gif

I wonder if oak is bad for puppies...
smiley3.gif

I can hear it now... "And if you look at the carboys after the wine's been in there a few weeks, you can see it's clearing and the yeast is settling to the bottom....."

I think that may be word for word. Hey wait a minute... is my house bugged?
smiley2.gif

omg are they cute! I got another puppy myself back in late Oct - now we have 3 dogs in the house - luckily this one will be a little smaller - hoperfully max out at 40 lbs belgain malinois/terrier mix- we also have an 11 yr old 70lb ???mix and 6 yr old 55lb beagle/aussie mix

One of the few things I love more than wine... puppies!!

Back