Wine preservation question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBWs

Sixth year into this... and still learning!
Reaction score
I have a question I can't seem to find a good answer to. Is there a certain % of alcohol that should be in a fruit wine to keep it safe from spoiling once bottled? The only thing I've found is on Jack Keller's site and it says "</font></font>In truth, a hair
over 10% alcohol is all that's required to preserve grape wine. But
some fruit wines actually require the 12% level
for unrefrigerated preservation, so using 12% as a rule of thumb errs,
if at all, on the side of safety"
It doesn't say which fruits.</font> </font> </font></font>

How long do you plan on keeping it? True fruit wines will not last as long as big reds. But, you can get 2-3 years at best. Fruit wines should be drunk early

The problem there in is that each fruit has more or less tannins and this tannin structure is what really can make a wine stand the test of time. This is why Bordeaux's are one of the top wines for aging as they typically have a lot of tannins naturally and oaking them also adds tannins to add to that. I would say that Jack Kellers site is pretty much spot on but remember that there are other factors also like PH and acidity that should be within range also.

I typically shoot for around 12% to 13% on my fruit wines to assist with longevity. I alo oak most of my fruit wines too. Peach and Apple being the exception.Theyareall made as quick drinkers to be consumed within 1-2 years of bottling

I wouldn't think that any fruit wine I'm making will be around longer than a year, 18 months at the very most. I've been making most at 11% to 12% . After reading what Jack said I was wondering if I should be going a bit higher to start. I figure adding f-pac and simple syrup will dilute the alcohol some. Am I right in thinking this or isn't 1% going to make a big difference?</font>

Yes the higher the better but what good is a higher abv when it hides the fruit. I usually make mine around 11 - 11.5and have had quite a few and still do have a few that are almost five years old and taste as good, better or just starting to decline at this age and the one that is just starting to decline is a spiced apple.

If you are not going to age more than two years, I would just sulfite conservatively and enjoy. I made a mango/green apple/white grape wine cooler that only was supposed to be around 8 to 9 %, and the recipe said do not keep around more than 6 months. I found a bottle that was almost two years old last month, and it was great. For some reason, a little less sweet than when bottled, but excellent over ice at the lake.

I agree with the advice to pay attention to how much tannin, acid, and sugar you are shooting for. My Mexican plum is naturally high acid and high tannin and I feed it sugar to make a port style without fortifying, then back sweeten. At four years it is superb, but I haven't had any around longer than that.

Thanks everyone! I'm not hearing any stories about wine going bad because of low alcohol so I'll keep on shooting for between 11% and 12% and if I get to where I'll be aging longer then 2 years I'll look at going to 12% plus. I'll keep an eye on SO2 and acid levels before bottling for sure. I learned about SO2 levels the hard way, so I watch those very carefully.

This is an interesting thread...

I made an apple wine last year. From what I have read apple needs at least 2 years. I think I am about 12% on it.

Goodfella said:
This is an interesting thread...

I made an apple wine last year. From what I have read apple needs at least 2 years. I think I am about 12% on it.
Dont know where you read that. I find I can bottleafter about 6 months and drink in 4-6 weeks.
When you have 12% you will taste more alcohol than the fruit. Apple has more of a delicate taste and can be easy overpowered by alcohol.

Scott, sounds like having a fruit wine to "spoil" with a low % of alcohol will never be a problem with these Forum folks. hahahaSounds like the wine gets consumed BEFORE a spoilage date.
smiley36.gif

With all the wine I make I cant get them past 2 years EXCEPT my Amarone 4 yrs and counting..

Tepe, you are a man of great strength!!!! 4 yrs is a LONG time!!
smiley32.gif

Yea the last few years I been making Amarone from Italian juice and age it for a year before bottling. Once bottled I put it "away" in my cellar. I'm hoping to get quite a supply eventually.

Back