Wine on Tap

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterZ

Reaction score
When I "bottled" a batch of IM Strawberry White Merlot for my daughter yesterday I did two bags for the Wine on Tap so she can have a glass whenever she wants, without having to open a bottle. The instructions were less than outstanding, to say the least.

The bag, laid flat, is 15" wide by 19" tall - which is much bigger than the plastic container it fits in. I filled the first bag outside the container to what I thought was the right level, and then tried to put the bag in the container. The net result was an hour added to the bottling time spent cleaning up wine, and a load of laundry to wash the towels used to mop up the spill.

For the second bag I installed the bag into the holder first, then filled it. That worked out much better. I did not take out the full one to see if the first attempt would now fit, since I had already cleaned the floor once, and was about out of old towels. I sent the full system home with my daughter, retaining the second bag and the 11 bottles, with instructions to bring the system back empty and I will install the second bag.

The next installation will be done in the very deep laundry sink, not on the kitchen counter.

Sounds like quite an experience Peter. How was the IM Strawberry White Merlot? Probably too sweet for you, but shoul please the young lady. Hope the next filling goes better.

The strawberry is light, not overwhelming. It tastes like wine, not strawberry soda with vodka in it. She was very pleased.

Remember that I added half of the F-pack and 1 lb of sugar to the primary, for an ABV of 9.6%, so it is not quite what was intended. Since she is happy with it, I am happy witth it, but it is not really my thing.

Next time I think I will try one of the MM equivalents, as they are designed for 9 - 10% abv from the start. I'll probably do a double batch, since I am set up for 6 gallons, and the kits are cheaper than the IM. They are also all juice.

Edited by: PeterZ

We made a batch of the MM Tangerine Dream and were very pleased. It is sweet but has the wine effect not the "wine cooler" type. Like you said next MM Fantasia kit we make will be a double batch.After giving a couple away and having a "few" ourselves 15 bottles disappear quickly!!!!!

Chevy, it doesn't matter what the wine is, when your friends and co-workers find out you make wine it goes fast.

None of my co-workers currently know I make wine. That will change at Christmas, when my contribution to "Naughty Santa" is a bottle of wine.

Back