Wine not cleared after 9 months

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abefroman

Reaction score
Howdy,

I started a couple red in January, and they still haven't cleared.

Will they clear on their own? Or do I need a filter/super kleer?

They're not dropping much sediment, a couple millimeters after 4 months.

TIA

Have you kept them warm and degassed? If so, you mite have to try some superclear, sparkaloid, pectic enzime, bentenite, or some other fining agent. One at at time and wait and see if it works. Good luck, Arne.

If you are doing this naturally - be sure that you have fully degassed and temps are warm enough. I know the Chicago are is pretty cold the first part of the year.

If you are use fining agents and have not added them in - I wouldn't hurt to add them in.

Filtering is not intended to clear your wine - although it will - but u will bog down your filter pretty quick on a murky wine.

Also had a strawberry wine that sat for almost a year. Was clear, but not quite. Finally bottled it and 2 weeks later, it all settled out. maybe one more racking would of set it off. I racked it several times tho. Anyway it is a mystery, only have a couple of bottles left. Shake em up and the fines mix up, the wine tastes good. Lotsa luck, Arne.

Also had a strawberry wine that sat for almost a year. Was clear, but not quite. Finally bottled it and 2 weeks later, it all settled out. maybe one more racking would of set it off. I racked it several times tho. Anyway it is a mystery, only have a couple of bottles left. Shake em up and the fines mix up, the wine tastes good. Lotsa luck, Arne.

Might have been a temperature change after bottling. Wine clears better at slightly higher temperatures. 70'sF is a great range for clearing, the 60's aren't always.

Might have been a temperature change after bottling. Wine clears better at slightly higher temperatures. 70'sF is a great range for clearing, the 60's aren't always.

In some cases, this is true, however I have found that placing the carboy into a fridge for several days really settles things out quickly.

Nine months is a long time though so a fining agent might be called for.

Robert

Starting the same wine this week. Gonna fight the cold temps with it, just need more patience. One thing tho, the stuff is really good. Will see how this one clears. After fermenting, had 10 lbs juice left. Added it to the wine and it gave it a great strawberry flavor. Bet I should of added more pectic enzime at that time. Wil try it that way this winter. Believe I will simmer the juice down so do not have as much bulk too. Arne.

Latest posts

Back