WineXpert Wine Making Newbie Here

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promo0

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum. Long time wine drinker, first time wine maker. My first kit is the Luna Rosa, it's currently in it's first fermentation, second fermentation probably starts this Friday. Does anyone have any feedback on this wine kit? I really enjoy reading this forum and I look forward to reading future posts. Thanks for having such a great source of info.

-promo0

Welcome,

Not done the Luna Rosa, but as long as you follow directions you should be
alright.
Got some photo's?

Peter

I really figured many would of chimed in here. I always read about people loving this kit. It is very popular and one on my list for the future. I have heard nothing bad about it.

Please keep us updated with your progress. I am a newbie as well and like to here about other newbies experiences. This is a great hobby. Actually, it is more than a hobby, it is a passion!

Smurfe
smiley4.gif

Welcome Promo.

Your first lesson here......the fermentation taking place now is the only fermentation your first wine will have. The primary and secondary you hear alot about are referring to the fermentation vessels. The primary fermentor is usually a bucket, trash can, vat, or other larger than necessary food gradevessel used until fermentation is at the point where it no longer produces enough CO2 to protect the wine with such a large void over it. The large void is so the yeast does not starve for O2, and in case the fermentation becomes so vigorous it produces alot of foam and 'boils' over.The secondary fermentor is usually a glass carboy, gallon jug, stainless tank, or other food grade vessel more in line with the finished batch size. The wine is usually racked off the gross lees to the secondary vessel when SG has dropped to 1.030 or lower, but preferably before it is down to 1.000. The yeast does not need any appreciable amount of O2 at this stage and is now making CO2 less rapidly and is making alcohol more rapidly.They will continue making alcohol until the alcohol kills them or until an outside force is used to either render them incapable of reproducing, or kills them.

An example of a secondary fermentation would be a bacterial fermentation, or a yeast fermentation after thefirst weaker yeast has pooped out because of too much alcohol than it can tolerate.

If anyonedetects any errors in this first lesson, please point them out.
smiley36.gif

Any questions
smiley25.gif
Edited by: Hippie

Thanks! Do you recommend I use just carboys for the rest of the process after the first fermentation. I've heard about people bottling from the bucket. Right now I only have one carboy, but I don't mind spending $$ on my new passion.

Thanks,

promo0

I have numerous carboys around. If I filter my wine I normally filter it back to my bucket and then bottle from there. If I don't filter, I normally bottle right out of the carboy.

If you are anything like me you will buy more. I am 5 months in this hobby and I have 4 6 gallon carboys. I am debating whether to buy any 5 gallon carboys or just pay my water company the $5.00 deposit on the ones from our water dispenser and use them every now and then if I need a 5 gallon one. From what I have seen of a Better Bottle, it appears they are the same. They are pretty heavy plastic carboys. Guess I could always make a batch in one then clean it out real good ad put it back on the porch for the water company to pick up
smiley9.gif

Smurfe
smiley4.gif

Yeah, I think I'll be buying more glass carboys. I live in the Spokane area, but I'll buy from THE TOY STORE if the locals don't have it in stock! I'm in the military as well. Anyway, I live on base so the water here has flouride so I'm using bottled water, more cost!

About filtering, a friend of mine filters his red wine, anybody else to that, he also siphons by mouth, is that okay?

Thanks all, this forum rocks!
smiley4.gif

-promo

Smurfe, I would advise against using your returnable water bottles as a secondary fermenter. They are not made of the same plastic as the Better Bottle and most likely won't offer the same protection for your wine.

Info from Better Bottle: The materials used to make Better-Bottle carboys and their related components have non-porous, unreactive, non-absorbing surfaces, so they are extremely resistant to staining, do not pick up flavors, and are easy to clean and sanitize. The special, scientifically tested, polyethylene terepthalate (PET) plastics have negligible oxygen permeability.

I took a quick look at the Poland Spring bottles we have a work and they have a #7 code on the bottom.

Here’s what the numbers represent:
<UL>
<LI>#1 - Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET)
<LI>#2 - High Density Polyethylene (HDPE)
<LI>#3 - Vinyl (Polyvinyl Chloride or PVC)
<LI>#4 - Low Density Polyethylene (LDPE)
<LI>#5 - Polypropylene (PP)
<LI>#6 - Polystyrene (PS)
<LI>#7 - Other (which commonly includes: Polycarbonate, ABS, Nylon, Acrylic or a composite of 2 or more resins) </LI>[/list]

Only #1 and #2 are ok for winemaking, #2 only ok for fermentation, in my opinion. For long term, I would only use glass or stainless steel, but alot of people use #1.

Welcome promo Glad to have you aboard!

I never filter reds (grape wine) since I only have made red wine from kits.

I am sure many people start a siphon with their mouths and don't have problems but it isn't the most sanitary method.

An autosiphon solves that issue with the best solution (comes in 3/8 and 1/2 inch):

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=4879

masta said:
Smurfe, I would advise against using your returnable water bottles as a secondary fermenter. They are not made of the same plastic as the Better Bottle and most likely won't offer the same protection for your wine.

Info from Better Bottle: The materials used to make Better-Bottle carboys and their related components have non-porous, unreactive, non-absorbing surfaces, so they are extremely resistant to staining, do not pick up flavors, and are easy to clean and sanitize. The special, scientifically tested, polyethylene terepthalate (PET) plastics have negligible oxygen permeability.

I took a quick look at the Poland Spring bottles we have a work and they have a #7 code on the bottom.

Here’s what the numbers represent:
<UL>
<LI>#1 - Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET)
<LI>#2 - High Density Polyethylene (HDPE)
<LI>#3 - Vinyl (Polyvinyl Chloride or PVC)
<LI>#4 - Low Density Polyethylene (LDPE)
<LI>#5 - Polypropylene (PP)
<LI>#6 - Polystyrene (PS)
<LI>#7 - Other (which commonly includes: Polycarbonate, ABS, Nylon, Acrylic or a composite of 2 or more resins) </LI>[/list]

Thanks for the info. I looked on the bottom of my bottles here and they have #4 stamped on them. Guess I won't use them
smiley19.gif
It just is so hard to see all these sitting here and not be able to use them. Thanks for the info. I really thought the water company I use used the Better Bottles. These are nicer than any bottled water I have ever got. It is a heavy sturdy material. Not flimsy like in the past.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

promo0 said:
Yeah, I think I'll be buying more glass carboys. I live in the Spokane area, but I'll buy from THE TOY STORE if the locals don't have it in stock! I'm in the military as well. Anyway, I live on base so the water here has flouride so I'm using bottled water, more cost!

About filtering, a friend of mine filters his red wine, anybody else to that, he also siphons by mouth, is that okay?

Thanks all, this forum rocks!
smiley4.gif

-promo
I filter my wines. particularly the lighter color ones. I have filtered 2 red kits. One was tough to do and kept plugging the filters up, took 3 sets of pads to run through the Mini-Jet. It was a grape pack kit so I guess I sucked up too much solids when I racked, the other grape pack kit filtered just fine.

They always say never siphon by mouth. Not sanitary and introduces bacteria. Are you talking the racking cane or when bottling? I have an Auto-siphon racking cane so no "mouth action" needed there. I will admit that I suck on the small overflow hose on my bottler to get it started but I never bottle what goes into overflow. I drink it as soon as done bottling
smiley20.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Smurfe, you should never attempt to filter a wine that is cloudy or has sediment. A wine should look like it is clear already, that is how you know it is ready to filter.

Hippie said:
Smurfe, you should never attempt to filter a wine that is cloudy or has sediment. A wine should look like it is clear already, that is how you know it is ready to filter.

Yeah, I know. It looked very clear to me. Did the flashlight test and it looked great.I don't know what the deal was. I didn't have "chunks" of anything in the filters but the filter would slow down and start squirting out the sides. Maybe it was just "operator error"

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

You either didn't have the pads seated in right, or not tight enough, or both. Or maybe one or 2 or all 3 were in backwards?Edited by: Hippie

Hippie said:
You either didn't have the pads seated in right, or not tight enough, or both. Or maybe one or 2 or all 3 were in backwards?

It could of been, I believe I had them tight enough. I was wondering if they could be "TOO TIGHT" can that happen? I also wonder how "sensitive" they are to getting pads seated? I am pretty sure none were in backward though.

I thought I did everything as I did with other batches. Maybe the wine still wasn't clear enough. It sure looked good to me though. Oh well, I guess as long as it drinks good that is all that matters!
smiley2.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif
Edited by: smurfe

Back