Other Wine Kit Help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkutch

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the right thread. If not I apologize. I have made many kits of wine with no major problems except this one.

I have a wine kit that is made by Wine expert. It was the selection series Spanish Rioja. This kit was started on 2/12/10. 6 month ago. It was bottled 4/12/10. or 4 months ago. I did everything it asked exactly when it asked. However I just opened my 1st bottle today. It tasted like everything was not blended well (like it just didnt all come together) and has a little bubble taste. I rechecked all my notes to make sure no number was high when I did a step and everything shows it was done right. Today I even checked to see if my specific gravity might be high in the wine. It reads .990.

I dont want to throw out 29 bottles so does anyone have any ideas on what to do? I will try anything versus wasting the wine.

Sounds like it needs degassing and carbonation will give it a funny taste. Degassing a wine is an essential process of wine making as sometimes your wine wont clear or let ant additives meld together due to the trapped C02 in the wine. What you can do now is get the Vacuvin and degas each bottle when you open it or pour all the bottles back into a carboy, sulfite again and then degas and then bottle again. Dont, I repeat dont dump it all! Here is the link to the Vacuvin.
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=4317

I have a Vacuvin.

If this was you which would you do?

If I put it back in the carboy what do you recommend doing?

If you are drinking all of these? If so just degas them individually with the Vacuvin, if handing lots out youll want to uncork them and degas in the carboy as I stated above.

My fault I didnt make it clear enough. I plan to put each bottle back in and degass. So just put the wine back in and stir like crazy? Wont this oxidize the wine? I guess I am trying to ask what to do if I want to degass all of it.

I tried degassing one bottle and it helped a lot but still had that taste. So my plan is to do all of them and hope for a better attempt for all the bottles. All I will lose is corks and cleaning solutions and time.

As far as oxidizing goes that is why I stated to add more sulfite after putting your wine back into the carboy then degas. Sulfite is an anti-oxidant.

Latest posts

Back