Wine is very dry....what to do?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonofasailor

Junior
Reaction score
Making fig wine....just removed the fruit from the fermenter after 5 days...measured .996...dry. Guess I did something wrong...can I fix this? I have not transfered to Carboy yet and I know I will need to add some water to bring it back up to 6 gallons...can someone give me a steer on what I can do now...or is everything OK and I just don't know it...my first time. Any advice appreciated...thanks and cheers.

You did nothing wrong, everything right! Just let it set in the carboy to clear, when ready to bottle, sulfate and stabilize then back sweeten to taste.

Can I let it set in the fermenter for a day or two or should I transfer it to the carboy now? Thanks and cheers.

Can I let it set in the fermenter for a day or two or should I transfer it to the carboy now? Thanks and cheers.

Make sure the SG does not drop for 3 days in a row; then you can transfer it and start the stabilization and clearing processes. Be sure to top it off in the carboy.

If you have the wine at SG 0.996 in a fermenter, unless you have it sealed and under airlock, I would get it out of the fermenter RIGHT NOW! I definitely would not wait a "day or two." You can leave it in the fermenter under airlock but, personally, I would rack it to a carboy and install an airlock.

If you have the wine at SG 0.996 in a fermenter, unless you have it sealed and under airlock, I would get it out of the fermenter RIGHT NOW! I definitely would not wait a "day or two." You can leave it in the fermenter under airlock but, personally, I would rack it to a carboy and install an airlock.

That's a good point, Rocky. (I am getting my threads mixed up. (This is not the thread about SG being at .98 to 1.0 is it? Dah!) Transfer it but don't start stabilization or clearing until you know for sure the SG is not continuing to fall.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone...I have transfered from fermenter to carboy and installed airlock...being my first time it went OK but did have some " splashes" in the carboy as I transfered...did get stirred up some...will that matter? Carboy is now in a dimmly lit room at 72*...I placed a white towel around the carboy...is that OK? Thanks again for all your help...sure I will have many more questions....thanks and cheers!

Thanks everyone...I have transfered from fermenter to carboy and installed airlock...being my first time it went OK but did have some " splashes" in the carboy as I transfered...did get stirred up some...will that matter? Carboy is now in a dimmly lit room at 72*...I placed a white towel around the carboy...is that OK? Thanks again for all your help...sure I will have many more questions....thanks and cheers!

It's difficult to not suck up some of the lees/sediment when you rack, unless you waste a lot of wine. The idea is that with each subsequent racking, you get less and less sediment.

It should be fine. You definately want to protect it from light to prevent UV damage. As long as the carboy is airlocked and there isnt a lot of airspace at the top it should be ok for a month or so. Same people age the wine at lower temperatures around 55 degrees, but for the first month it probably isnt critical. If it gets much above 70 I would move it to somewhere cooler.

Let it age for a month or so and some more of the solids/yeast will settle out. I would personally wait a month and see what it looks like. If its not clear enough for you at that point, I would rack it to a clean carboy, and then use a clearing agent or other 'fining' method.

Back