Wine is cooking how to I stop it?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fertman

Junior
Reaction score
Wine is cooking how do I stop it?

My first attempt with a semi experienced old school winemaking friend resulted in some great wine.. We blended Zinfandel, Alacante, and Petit Syrah and produce 102 gallons from 30 cases of grapes.. When I say old school I mean we pressed it by hand and let it sit for 10 days or so in 50 gallon open barrels than transfered it into 15 gallon glass containers and the rest (50 gallons) into a 50 gallon Bourbon soaked oak barrel. Initially the wine in the glass game out after 7 months of storage at the first new moon a little fissy but still drinkable.. The wine in the Oak barrel came out perfect and great.. I than transfered the wine into bottles and one 15 gallon glass container with what the Oak barrel produced and what I call my A wine..
I have it in my basement which is pretty cool but my wife insists on a humidifier down there..
The problem is my grade A now is a little frissy and I have to chill than drink.. I am worried about this cooking/frissy with the 40 or so gallons I have left.. especially my grade A... I have added nothing to this wine from the pressing till now.. Should I worry and can I correct or eliminate this cooking.fissy happening...Thanks,RK

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. Glad to have you here. First question. Did you stabilize the wine with Potassium Sorbate to inhibit re-fermentation? Wine should always be stabilized though before bottling to protect from bottle bombs. If so and the wine is still fizzy that would be trapped carbon dioxide (CO2) in the wine. It will not harm anything. Wine needs to be degassed before bottling. The wine aged in the barrel naturally degassed as the CO2 could seep out through the barrel. Wine aged in solid containers such as a carboy take much much longer to naturally degas.

Latest posts

Back