Wine From Frozen Concentrate Nector?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadwarriorsvt

Reaction score
This post isn't so much a question I guess as it is an informational. I've made lilikoi wine from concentrate (18% juice) last year, backsweetened/F-Pac with lilikoi syrup, but the company no longer sells lilikoi concentrate, so the next best thing? Guava I guess! The concentrate is also 18% juice and makes guava nector. Any speculation how this wine will turn out? Trouble clearing? I pitched Cotes De Blanc yeast yesterday and its fermenting like crazy, especially after a little stir. I'm thinking of adding bentonite to the primary. Any opinions? Suggestions? All are appreciated.

My starting SG was 1.075. Today it was 1.04! I added 1/2 cup more sugar, yeast nutrient and enegizer and it took off again! Also added bentonite last night.

So, this is a wine that is made from an 18% juice product essentially? Won't that be really really light on any fruit flavor?
Are you adding water or just using 100% of this concentrate?

How did the lilikoi turn out?

Used some water to get to the 5 gallon mark. I find it amusing how some think you can only use 100% juice or the world will stop spinning! Haha! The lilikoi was by far my most popular with the locals here. I used 4 cans per gallon and with the F-pac, it had a great flavor. So far the guava is bubbling away and has a great pink color. Time will tell I suppose. :h

I was just curious, not dissing. Some fruits need to be less than 100% IMHO, but I was not familiar with the lilikoi and I have not worked with guava. When you say you are using 4 cans/gallon, what size are the cans? It is nice to hear that others are able to make favorable wines even though not using 100% fruit.

The standard frozen concentrate cans. Not sure fr the size, its kind of the standard size I guess, same as Welches, Old Orchard, etc.

I racked the guava nector concentrate wine again. The bottom 1/5 of the 5 gallon secondary was thick sludge/pulp. Racked into a 3 gallon carbor and a 1.5 liter botle. I picked up some guave syrup today to backsweeten with later. I think its gonna turn out alright! :b

I racked this guava nector concentrate wine last week and backsweetened with a guava syrup. I had a pint left over so I chilled it. Just had some and it is delicious! Great guava flavor. The only problam is I wasn't sure this wine was going to turn out very well so I did not keep any notes! :slp I only made a three gallon batch but I'm sure its gonna be a favorite with the locals here. I better start a 5 gallon batch soon.

Back