Wine from cane juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
I have never tasted cane juice so I don't have a clue what it is like. I am going to a cane grindng next month.

Would that make a drinkable wine.

I've made it, its a bit bland by its self. Really takes to some fruit or ginger flavoring though. Watch out for rocket fuel if you are not careful.:d

I used to grow cane and make syrup. The juice is mainly water. If we let the cane sit a week or more after cutting, it would yield more syrup per kettle do to the evaporation of water from the stalks. So I think it would be a weak wine, but I would try it. The old timers at the cane grindings would talk of the "skimmings" working off in the buckets. Try it and let us know how it turns out.

I regularly make wine using a little molasses sugar and additives. 1 cup is all you want for 3-4 gallons any more is overpowering. I don't know how the skimming would compare to molasses but it is worth a try.

^^Yeah, but he's talking cane juice which is just squeezed sugar cane. Its raw watery sap, not much flavor at all. Molasses sugar is the boiled down product of cane juice after sugar crystals have been extracted. Much different than cane juice.

Latest posts

Back