Wine Filtration

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokegrub

Reaction score
I make relatively small volumes of wine, generally 6 gallons or less, and I have an infrequent need of wine filtration. What would you recommend as a cost-effective solution for this need?

The most cost saving way is to turn the lights down low when drinking.
smiley4.gif

No seriously, I have a a mini filter that does wonders. http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=5270A
A Gravity filter does just a good has job has the mini jet but is slower.
You can't go wrong with either one.

I use a gravity filter and works pretty well.
Some others on the forum have said they would never filter, and in truth, it is rarely necessary. Time is a excellent clarifier. A properly degassed wine will clear of it's own accord if you leave it alone. The rationale for not filtering is that some claim it strips the taste. I've not noticed personally.

I've just finished the MM Trebbiano, which include an instruction to filter..

The downside of the gravity filter is time. It takes about an hour to filter 6 gallons and, if it is really cloudy requires a filter change part way through. While it is filtering, the filtered wine is sitting exposed to air, which of course we try to avoid.

Peter

I've used a gravity filter and gotten good results. We usually don't filter our wines, but once in a great will we need to. (We do a LOT of bulk aging, so it's not from lack of patience.) It takes time, but so does everything else in making good wine, so we just view it as an investment.

Latest posts

Back