Wine fermenting for 3 days and going on holiday!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elderyaya

Junior
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a dilema - I started a new batch of elderflower wine on Wednesday morning and I'm going on holiday for a few days on Saturday, so I'll be unable to stir the must during this time (or have time to strain it in to demijohns before then). It's rapidly fermenting at the moment and after stirring it, the elderflowers & chopped raisins soon bob back to the top and form a layer. If I leave this layer for a few days unstirred will it go off? Or should I just attempt to remove just the layer before i go - and would this mean the wine would not have as much flavour at the end?

Any advise on the best thing to do appreciated!

Thanks

Please post you recipe and dates of everything to date. How long are you going to be gone? You may be able to just add an airlock to it if it is in a primary bucket and be ok.

My theory is that, because there is a layer that is exposed from the wine, you might get more off flavours, its like having a banana out in the open for too long, turns black and starts to smell.

Thats my theory though, I am not sure. Anyone feel free to correct me

Like Dan said, an airlock will help keep it moist if its just a couple days. O2 shouldn't be a big problem either asthere would be CO2 barrier protecting it

LOL! i was looking through new posts and somehow these popped out. i wonder how did this guy's wine end up

Latest posts

Back