Wine Expert's Needed !!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angell Wine

Reaction score
I'm trying to find some information about a bottle of Pauillac that was given to me by friend. I don't think he knows what he's got. He said he had a case of it. Can anybody tell me what a .750 ml bottle is going for ?
Here's whats on the label:

Bottled exclusively for Chalone by Domaines Barons De Rothschild (lafite)

Reserve Speciale

Domaines Barons de Rothschild

Pauillac 1988

Appellation Pauillac controlee

Bordeaux Red Wine
Shipped by: Grancru - Pauillac
Product of France

I’m no expert, but I’ll chime in anyway.
smiley17.gif
The first thing I noticed was “bottled for Chalone”. That’s a California winery. Are you sure the spelling is not Chalon or Challon?
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
I do know that some of the most prestigious Bordeaux comes from Pauillac, located in Medoc and that the fame of the area equates to high prices. 1988 is considered a good, but not excellent year for the region. I’ll consult my Parker’s and see what I can find out.
<O:p></O:p>
Have you googled it yet? Can you get a photo? Edited by: sangwitch

The spelling is correct, it's Chalone winery in California. I found this at the SEC site:
The Company produces, markets and sells super, ultra and super-ultra
premium white and red varietal table wines, primarily Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Sauvignon Blanc. The Company operates six wineries; four located in various counties of California, and two located in the State of Washington. The Company's wines are made principally from grapes grown at the Chalone Vineyard(R), Carmenet(R) Vineyard, Edna Valley Vineyard(R), Company-owned vineyards adjacent to the Acacia(TM) Winery in California and the Canoe Ridge(R) Vineyard in Washington State. These wines are primarily sold under the labels "Chalone Vineyard," "Edna Valley Vineyard," "Carmenet," "Acacia," "Canoe Ridge Vineyard," and "Echelon(TM)".

As a result of a substantial investment in the Company by France-based Les Domaines Barons de Rothschild (Lafite) ("DBR"), the Company receives an allocation of DBR wines, including the wines of Chateau Lafite-Rothschildand Chateau Duhart-Milon, first-growth and fourth-growth Bordeaux region wines, respectively.

20061202_142357_CAM_1082.JPG

This is the bottle. I found a label like this but not exact
20061202_142551_img-display.jpg

I think it's worth $50 to $500 but the more I look the more I don't khow.

At the bottom it say's Imported by: Chalone Wine Group - San Francisco, Ca. On the Back the label reads "Pauillac is a selection of wines grown and produced by Chateaux Lafite Rothschild and Duhart-Milton". Edited by: Angell Wine

I checked Parker’s, but it doesn’t list any prices. It mentions that it was a good, but not great year due to harvesting too soon because of fear of “a repeat of the rains that destroyed the potential for a great year in 1987”. However, it also says that the Lafite Rothschild Pauillac was one of the best wines from the region that year.
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I found where two bottles sold at auction in 2005 for $340: http://www.tcwc.com/345ham.htm

Idon't know ifthey were the Reserve Speciale though. The Reserve Speciale are wines they produce for every day drinking http://www.lafite.com/en/index.php

Thanks for all the info Sang &amp; Northern. I think I'll just lay it down for 20 more years then celebrate something with it.

Latest posts

Back