labels that impact value of wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was flipping through channels last night and I happened on this show where two guys were betting each other that they could trade on craig's list, each time for a more expensive item, and come up with the most profit.

This one guy traded a motorcycle helmit for a box of cheap wine. He had one bottle appraised (it had Marlynn Monroe on the label). It was worth $3,000.00.

Ya here that you label designers out there??? A $10 bottle of napa merlot was worth 3,000.00 just because of monroe's picture on the label.

This got me thinking or what other images might add value. Here is just a couple that I can think of...

Anything French,
Anything related to Trump,
An exact copy of a winning lottery ticket,
The words "from the cellars of Thomas Jefferson",
The profiles of Modvadi and Rothschild (aka Opus One).

Anybody have any other ideas?

I think this is a one of a kind event. Marlynn Monroe is a pink elefant. Only she could garner a price like this for such an item. It's her sex symbol iconic personality. Perhaps if you had a photo of her and JFK on a label, that was old and aged bottle of wine? Looks like she drank Merlot, as most wines with her pic are Merlots.

Check this out. Some nut wanted to pay, but reserve was not met.

1600 Bottles Of Marilyn Monroe Collectable Wine
current: US$99,000.00 - Reserve not yet met.
time past closing: 1303 days, 22 hours
24 minutes
12/2/08 6:00P EST
high bidder: No bids have been placed.
# of bids: 0 bid history
quantity: 1 Lot of 1 bottle
ships to: United States Only
ships from: San Diego, California 92103
insurance: None: Unverified Seller
lot: #4638797
Email item
Watch item
http://www.winecommune.com/lot.cfm/...yn-Monroe-Collectable-Wine/lotID/4638797.html

There you go.

thumbnailCA04M92K.jpg

thumbnailCAMP2BW5.jpg

thumbnailCACQFI3V.jpg

Back