Wine Cooler

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PigPen

Reaction score
I have 2 6 gal. batches (red). Trying to figure out where age them. My basement is a walkout with a lot of windows, soI do not haveany place that will stay cool during the summer months. I was going to get a wine cooler. Is this a good idea, keeps everything at a stedy temp. (what is good to age the reds?)

55* and 65% humidity are the best for aging but not many have those in our houses. Those wine fridges are good but are also expensive for a decent size one for those of us that typically like to make a lot of wine. If you dont have a place in your house that you can take over for storage of wine that is temp stable(and I mean that it is not too drastic) then a cooler would good. Most of us just find a closet that stays close to the same temp all year round such as 1st floor closet. Since you have a basement, can you wall of a corner (preferably the most subterranean corner) and insulate the walls? This is what i did and the temps really stay almost perfect from doing this along with humidity 3/4 of the year. During the summer I did have to run a dehumidifier in there, that might have been because my wife likes to open the basement door and leave it open but that will be different this year as our bedroom will be down there soon.

Under the stars would be nice but Id probably just keep them under the stairs and out of the light of the day!
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back