Wine by the month

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only have a wine cooler thing going on right now though. Just a 5 gallon sugar wash that will be divided in gallon sizes then back sweetened with different kinds of concentrates

I started up a spreadsheet while thinking about the Wine of the Month Club, listing all the ingredients that go on sale/are in season at certain times of the year.

I've already got enough ideas for 2 years worth of 1 gallon/month!

Wow!

I'm no where near that organized. What are you going to go with for November's wine?

I've already got my idea for the December wine and I'm gathering supplies.

Werther's Originals, vanilla bean, and oak.

Winenoob, I've never heard of what you are doing, can you post a little more about it?

I had first gotten the idea of seeing if I could get Barcardi Strawberry Daiquiri mix to ferment into a kinda strawberry wine, and someone suggested I check out this video and see if I would be interested in trying this instead so I gave it a shot.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3nWUa4FkMw[/ame]

This will explain everything that I am actually doing but I will say he is a little Vague on the sugar used for the SG so here is what I done

hot water to dissolve 20 cups sugar
2 1/2 tsp yeast energizer
5 tsp yeast nutrient
water to 5 gallons
EC 1118

run it dry, divide into gallons, then back sweeten each with any kind of concentrate ya like, will take 2 regular juice concentrates or 3 of the barcardi mixers per gallon. not meant to be cleared but you probably could if ya wanted to.

Also I was just using the video as an example to get his mixing idea ya don't need to watch the whole thing, it is pretty long. But he does go into back sweetening the mixes towards the end

Last edited:
Winenoob, This is just my opinion, but I think you are on the right track with your idea to ferment Daiquiri mix. Using the fermenting sugar and water method and adding flavorings will not give you much more than alcoholic, flavored water. Like a flavored vodka, only less ABV.
By using the daiquiri base and fermenting it, you are going to get a more complex drink. The yeasties do their thing and it transforms more than just alcohol. It changes flavor profiles.

Noob,

That sounds interesting but I also wonder if just running water/sugar and back flavoring is going to end up giving you a wine that will taste very thin.
(If that is the correct word. I know how it feels/tastes, but I'm not sure how to describe it)
I know I read somewhere that just plain water/sugar either made for a poor ferment or stressed the yeast, I can't remember which.
But it looks like you take care of that aspect with the addition of the nutrients and energizer.
I'll be very interested in hearing how this turns out.
If it is good, then I would imagine the sky would be the limit once you start taking a look at bacardi mixers and flavor syrups (like those used at soda shops and coffee bars)

How is it fermenting so far? Any off smells?

Lori,

I forgot to ask earlier about the onion wine.
That sounds amazing, but I wouldn't know what to use it in, other than soup.

Any chance you had sugars that were undissolved, sitting on the bottom the first time you took the measurement, and they would have dissolved by the second time?

Paul,

I don't think so. My solution was pretty warm when I added the sugar and I used a large wire whisk to whip the heck out of it.

Jericurl said:
Wow! I'm no where near that organized. What are you going to go with for November's wine? I've already got my idea for the December wine and I'm gathering supplies. Werther's Originals, vanilla bean, and oak.

This sounds really good. Do you already have a recipe you can share.

lol I liked the idea of the Vanilla Bean and Oak myself and I have been wondering what a little carmel would be like in that also.

On that sugar wash it really has a blank type smell ya can smell the alcohol but that's about it. But pretty much what I expected it to smell like. it is about done fermenting now I will be mixing this in a day or 2, then I will toss in an update on it.

Last edited:
Wow!

I'm no where near that organized. What are you going to go with for November's wine?

I've already got my idea for the December wine and I'm gathering supplies.

Werther's Originals, vanilla bean, and oak.

Lol - organized says you - mostly bedridden says me! I'm recovering from a surgery I had on Friday. So I have 4 weeks of 'stay in bed and do nothing'. Hah! My brain is working just fine, so I need to keep it busy until I'm able to be more up and about.

I've already got November's wine going - a pure apple juice with cayennes and habaneros. It'll hopefully be a cooking wine (maybe sipping too). I'll post the recipe as soon as I hobble down the stairs to find my wine log. According to others on the site it should be really good in chili and spaghetti sauce.

December though: according to my list: mandarin oranges, cranberries, spices, chocolate, and candy canes will be 'in season'. I'm thinking about either a mint chocolate or a spiced mead. Thoughts?

The werthers,vanilla and oak sounds yummy. You're in Canada right? Have you gone to the Vanilla Food Company for your beans? They're amazing, and so, so cheap! They also have specialty cinnamons :)

I don't have a recipe yet for the Werther's wine.

I think I'm going to add enough of the candy to try to get the SG up pretty close to my starting level, then maybe add a bit of sugar to help it along if needed.
I know I'll be adding some pectic enzyme to it as well as yeast energizer and nutrient.
Right now my reading is focusing on whether I want to add the vanilla bean and oak in the primary or wait until secondary.
I'm leaning towards adding oak in the primary and adding the vanilla during secondary.

Rayway,
Unfortunately I'm down in Texas, so I'll have to find something a wee bit closer to home. Shipping from Canada gets expensive.
I'll definitely be looking for a supplier for vanilla beans though. I'm also wanting to start a few bottles of homemade vanilla extract, let it age a year, then give out for Christmas 2014.

Hey Jericurl,
That company offers a flat rate ship to the US as well (had never looked into it before). The last batch I ordered from them was a 1/4 Lb of Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Beans - came out to 29 beans for $24 plus shipping. I'm just using the last of them now. They are SO GOOD! My next order will likely be for 1Lb, as I've got both sides of the family addicted to fresh vanilla now. Would also like to try mixing a few types of beans into a vanilla mead to see what they offer.

I also make homemade vanilla to give away, plus home made Kaluah. People go wild over my Kaluah :) I've been wondering about finding a tiny oak barrel and oaking my vanilla. Haven't decided on that one yet though.

Lori,

I forgot to ask earlier about the onion wine.
That sounds amazing, but I wouldn't know what to use it in, other than soup.

I'm thinking sauces and deglazing pans. Hopefully it will be good on steamed veggies too.

Hey Rayway

I do an easy Kaluah mix all my friends are nutz over, mine is as follows:

KAHLUA

Pan #1 Bring 5 cups water to boil.
Add 4 cups sugar. Stir to dissolve.
Bring to second boil. Stir constantly 5 to 6 mins.
Remove immediately from heat.

Pan #2 Bring 5 cups water to boil.
Remove from heat and immediately add
1/4 to 1/2 cup Folger's instant coffee. (Be sure to remove from heat as it will bubble over.)
(I use 1/3 cup).
Let both pans cool to room temperature.
Combine pans and add
2 oz. PURE vanilla and a fifth of Everclear.

Stir and enjoy

Hey Rayway

I do an easy Kaluah mix all my friends are nutz over, mine is as follows:

KAHLUA

Pan #1 Bring 5 cups water to boil.
Add 4 cups sugar. Stir to dissolve.
Bring to second boil. Stir constantly 5 to 6 mins.
Remove immediately from heat.

Pan #2 Bring 5 cups water to boil.
Remove from heat and immediately add
1/4 to 1/2 cup Folger's instant coffee. (Be sure to remove from heat as it will bubble over.)
(I use 1/3 cup).
Let both pans cool to room temperature.
Combine pans and add
2 oz. PURE vanilla and a fifth of Everclear.

Stir and enjoy

Hey Winenoob,
That's pretty similar to mine:
9 cups fresh brewed coffee (I like to use a sweet, dark roast, fresh ground beans)
9 cups sugar
9 cups vodka
9 fresh, split vanilla beans

Once the coffee is brewed, I stir the sugar in until it's dissolved. Split the vanilla beans and toss into the hot mixture. Wait till it cools. Put mixture into large glass container, and add vodka.

Taste often, and once you're happy with the vanilla flavour, discard pods and strain mixture (or don't strain and have small vanilla seeds for 'character). After a month or two, it's really mellow and smooth :)

LonestarLori: I've been eyeballing that recipe for a little while as well. It just seems too good to be true! Then again, the Orange Chocolate Port I did is pretty amazing. I find I want more chocolate taste though.

November Wine - Hot Pepper

Here is my contribution for November.

I`ve heard all kinds of wonderful things about hot pepper cooking wine, and just had to give a try to making my own. I`m hoping this will take the place of my hot pepper oil - which is very labour intensive, only lasts for a month in the fridge, and is never quite as hot as I would like it to be. My family likes it spicy, but I played it fairly conservative for my first batch as I wan`t sure what the ferment would do to the hotness of the peppers. Any they were HOT this year!

Ingredient List
- 4L pure apple juice
- .5 tsp pectic enzyme
- 1 tsp yeast nutrient
- .25 tsp tannin
- 1 campden tab
- .25 tsp bentonite
- sugar to 1.104
- k1-V1116 yeast
- 2 cayenne peppers, split, with seeds
- 4 habanero peppers, split, no seeds

- Chucked everything into the primary except yeast and pectic enzyme.
- Stirred like mad until the sugar was dissolved.
- O.G. 1.104

- Added Pectic enzyme.
- Stir.

- Pitched yeast

10.31.13-11.3.13
- Stirred like a mad thing a few times per day. Decent foaming action during fermentation.
- Had to be very careful, as the gas that came up burned the eyes, nose, and throat because of the hot peppers.

- `Racked` to a 1 gallon carboy (i.e. dumped through a strainer to get chunks out)
- S.G. .999

Latest posts

Back