Wine and Vit Education?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p_mawdsley

Junior
Reaction score
Wine and Viticulture: Cal Poly vs Washington State?
I have been accepted to both schools, and I was originally definitely going to go with Cal Poly, but I've been hearing good things about Washington State. Any scholarships aside, which program is better? Or is it just a preference type of thing? Any assistance/information would be helpful, thanks!

Wasn't sure where to put this so I dropped it in general Wine Making, I hope that's alright.

Edit: I'm 18 from Austin, TX, have a decent GPA, and good SAT scores if that information helps at all.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

What a great choice to have!!!! Sorry, I can't help much. I would try to contact some pro viticulturists/wine makers and get their opinions.

Grapeman (on this forum) is involved with vino education in the Northeastern USA. Maybe he can help you.

Both of them are great schools. Congrats on being accepted by both. I would examine their quality of living while there, internships available at wineries, etc. and just plain personal preferences you may have. Other than that, I can't tell you a lot about either one. Best of luck in your education.

If your parents are wealthy then its not a problem either way, both are great schools. But I can guarantee you the cost of living (room and board) will be much less in WA state than CA by a long shot. WA state is also a hotbed of expansion these days so jobs (and internships) will probably be easier to find as well.

If I had the choice I would choose WA state all things considered. Do your own research though and keep us posted!

WSUn is in Pullman and rent will be ay less. It is also a boring as hell place to be. It is called the Bartender U. Excitement means going to Moscow Id and getting drunk in Idaho. Booze is cheaper there. The Education is great if you are willing to go for it. The school has since day 1 been an Agricultural School. Now GO Huskys. screw the Cougars

I'll make a pitch for Cal Poly SLO. We live in San Luis Obispo, and are Cal Poly alums. Within +/- 50-100 miles are many BATF viticultural areas and lots more microclimates, from cool, fog influenced coastal vineyards, to hot, dry inland areas. And, farther away, in the central valley are the larger operations.

I came out from Illinois to go to school at Cal poly in the 70s,and never left. Now my parents live out here, too. The climate and area agree with me, and many Poly grads find it hard to return home after graduation. The vibrant local wine industry would make that decision easier for a graduate in your program. :) Cal Poly is famous for its "Learn By Doing" philosophy. By the time you are ready for your Senior Project, our vineyard may be producing some decent grapes.

If you decide to visit SLO, please let me know.

Best regards,

Chris

To Chris,
I'm actually planning a visit to SLO within the next month or so. I have an aunt who is also a Cal Poly alumnus and lives in San Carlos, so I will be driving down to SLO with her and my uncle for my second campus visit. They get custom blends from one of the vineyards in the region, and were a major factor in my decision to study this formally.
They had also suggested that I grow grapes on their plot of land about an hour out of SLO, I think that could be pretty cool if the soil is supportive.

To Chris,
I'm actually planning a visit to SLO within the next month or so. I have an aunt who is also a Cal Poly alumnus and lives in San Carlos, so I will be driving down to SLO with her and my uncle for my second campus visit. They get custom blends from one of the vineyards in the region, and were a major factor in my decision to study this formally.
They had also suggested that I grow grapes on their plot of land about an hour out of SLO, I think that could be pretty cool if the soil is supportive.

Visit Avila Beach while you are there. It is only a few miles south of SLO, near over a hundred wineries. Avila beach is a very special place.

Visit Avila Beach while you are there. It is only a few miles south of SLO, near over a hundred wineries. Avila beach is a very special place.

Thanks for the tip, maybe I'll drive down there when I visit.

mawsdsley, in answer to your original question I would have to say it is a matter of preference. I grew up in WA and my sister is a WSU grad. My best friend also went to UC Santa Barbara so I know that area fairly well. You happen to live in a little piece of the west coast here in Austin so the overall "mentality" is somewhat similar. I think in the end it comes down to experience and work ethic over where your diploma came from. I am sure both schools are top notch.

It sounds like you have some family in CA. Nothing against WSU but I chose to go to school in Las Vegas instead of WSU to actually stay away from the party atmosphere. I know that might sound strange but Pullman has little to offer besides frat parties, late night pizza, and $1 beers. All of which are fine and well but I had my fill of all three when I would visit my sister.

I know WSU has a pretty extensive network of offsite campus offerings. I am sure a lot of your schooling would not be in Pullman. Most every 100 and 200 level class would be but after that you might have to drive or even live somewhere else. I know most all of the upper level architecture classes were actually in Spokane. A bit of an upgrade from Pullman but not much.

Last edited:
Well, I just committed to Cal Poly and accepted their offer of admission. All things considered I think it was the right choice for me, I'm definitely looking for an education over a party school, and the area is nicer. Thanks for all the info

Good for you! You'll love it here. One warning: I came here from Illinois in 73 to go to Poly and never moved back. That's how nice it is.

Are you going to come out for Open House?

Not much to add but I'm sure you will like Cal Poly. I've met several people in their program while visiting Edna Valley tasting rooms and they all were very happy with the program. Best of luck there :)

Latest posts

Back