Will this still be ok?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristi

Reaction score
I'm making a persimmon wine which I started about a week ago (on 12/10). I prepared the fruit and the water/sugar mixture, and put the fruit bag with the fruit into the liquid. I took the hydrometer reading and it was 1.100, then got busy that day.

As is expected in December, I remained busy for the next few days and forgot about what I started for about 4 days. I figured I'd just chuck it, but it smelled really good, like it was fermenting nicely, so I took another hydrometer reading and it was 1.060. I added a crushed campden tab and figured I'd get to it the next day, but darn it all, it's a busy month and I'm finally getting to put my attention to it, so I'm here to ask you guys, is this still good since it seems to be fermenting? I haven't added any yeast to it at all because i wasn't sure this would be ok to brew still.

TIA!

Yes, it is likely fine if it is still fermenting. If it smells and tastes ok, it is ok. What is the SG at the moment? For insurance, I would add some wine yeast just in case the unknown strain you have going is weak and stops early. EC 1118 would take over and make sure fermentation completes.

Great. The SG is 1.040 today. Can I use Cote des Blancs or Pasteur Champagne yeast? They are all I got, I think. I may have some Montrachet somewhere too, but I'm not sure.

I'd use the champagne yeast. Montrachet is a very finicky yeast and you could have real problems. Champagne yeast is hardy, will handle whatever without any issues. Stay safe and use the Pasteur Champagne which is similar to the suggested 1118.

Pam in cinti

Last edited:
I'd use the champagne yeast. Montrachet is a very finicky yeast and you could have real problems. Champagne yeast is hardy, will handle whatever without any issues. Stay safe and use the Pasteur Champagne which is similar to the suggested 1118.

Pam in cinti

Awesome, thanks Pam. :)

Latest posts

Back