Will the real Carboy Please Stand Up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know of I can even get my hands on bbs. So they are regulated to have the exact capacity?

I filled one of my primary buckets with water to the 6 gallon ridge line and then poured all the water into a BB. The water came right up to the neck of the BB. Of course racking off the lees and such you'll come up short of the neck but a whole lot less short than with my Italian glass carboys.

My guess is that they are regulated to a consistent size due too the manufacturing process.

Just racked a 6 gal Gewurtztraminer to a "6gal" Italian carboy and it only came up to the shoulders! Argh! I knew that was going to happen based on this enlightening thread! Also racked my 5 gal Gamay to a "5gal" plastic carboy which is the one I filled yesterday with 5.5gals. The juice also came up only to the shoulders! I better figure this out shortly! This is the Gewurtztraminer

ImageUploadedByWine Making1392492859.956874.jpg

Btw I just measured a new 3gal Italian carboy that I got recently for my blueberry peach port. It was right on the money. My other two seemed to be fine as well? Is this only an issue with 5 and 6 gal sizes?

I have a couple 3 gallon, and they measure out at 3 gallon plus 3 extra cups. Most of the carboys I have of size have 3 extra cups over the stated measurement. My 6 gal Better Bottles are pretty true to size tho. I've found that if I go out of fermenting bucket to better bottle, at next racking it fits 5 gallon and extra 3 liters. Luckily I have lots of 3 liters, and use them a lot more than I thought I would.

Pam in cinti

Hmmm interesting! I measured mine out with a gallon jug and poured exactly 3 of these Ito the carboy and the level went to the bottom ring in the neck!

What the heck are these? I bought them through Kijiji for $10 each - supposed to be 5 gal carboys. The openings are way too big for my #11 bungs! Will have to find something suitable for bungs. They are Pyrex and made in USA.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1392935831.399002.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1392935940.472934.jpg

Carolyn

Carolyn,
They're nice. Do they hold 5 gallons? That makes it easier to stir and get fruit, etc. into the opening! I've never seen them before. My local shop has 5 gallon carboys that look exactly like the italian 6.5 gal carboys. My 5 gallon carboys take the same stopper as the 6.5 gal ones.

These are supposed to hold 5 gals but I will have to measure as usual. At bigger holes will need new bungs? Hope they make them that big!

Carolyn

Hmmm couldn't find large enough bungs for these. Have to use a large cork stopper with a hole drilled in...

Carolyn

Carolyn, those carboys look great. I would have grabbed those in a heart beat. You can order rubber bungs to fit them.

You have to remember if you're filling up a gallon jug to test your carboys you're adding more than a gallon each time. Gallon jugs are not filled to the top. next time you buy a glass gallon jug filled with liquid mark where it is filled to. If you have a decent beaker with ml's marked on it, you could add 3785 ml's of water to it and mark the jug.

Thanks Runningwolf! You are correct at pointing that out! Further to that I was counting my 4 liter jugs as gallons when trying to measure some fill lines on some of my other carboys - promptly gave up after I realized that a gal is not quite 4 liters!! I have a good measuring cup that has mls and will have to painstakingly measure out the right amount in order to get this right! I have a Gamay batch sitting in a 5 gal spring water jug, waiting to be racked into one of those carboys. But when I racked it to that miserable jug I realized that was not 5 Gals either because where handle is located on the jug it indents and is less than 5 gals. So i have the extra in the fridge in a wine bottle. Fun stuff I tell you!!

Carolyn

Last edited:
Meant to ask where can I order bungs bigger than #11? I'll look around some more

Carolyn

Carolyn let me tell you a little secret and if you tell anyone I said it I'll deny it and make a fool out of you. Now just between us, the U.S. really screwed up using our numbering system. Back in the 70's there was a push to convert to metric and once again they blew it. We should have just bit the bullet, sucked up the pains for a few years and done it. Many people here don't realize how much easier it would make their lives or the lives of the future generation. Ok enough, remember I never said that.

Ah Musca has 12s that will probably work! Has anyone seen these Pyrex jugs? I they look well made at least. Larger neck will make adding stuff and stirring easier.

Carolyn

I bet if you find them on ebay they'll cost many times more than you paid for them. Incidentally I have one just like those only it's closer to 13 gallons. I saw a few on ebay close to $200.

I bet if you find them on ebay they'll cost many times more than you paid for them. Incidentally I have one just like those only it's closer to 13 gallons. I saw a few on ebay close to $200.

Wha??? Lol why so costly? Anyone know what they were designed for or is it simply because they are Pyrex thus versatile?

Carolyn

Carolyn let me tell you a little secret and if you tell anyone I said it I'll deny it and make a fool out of you. Now just between us, the U.S. really screwed up using our numbering system. Back in the 70's there was a push to convert to metric and once again they blew it. We should have just bit the bullet, sucked up the pains for a few years and done it. Many people here don't realize how much easier it would make their lives or the lives of the future generation. Ok enough, remember I never said that.

Haha ya my life would be easier if a gallon was in fact 4 liters since everything comes in 4 liter jugs here!

Carolyn

Back