Will landot noir grow in south dakota?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riparian

Junior
Reaction score
I'm planning a small vineyard for spring, and I've decided on planting 6 Marquette vines, 3 Brianna, and 3 prairie star. I've been looking for another red wine grape that will withstand my climate. I'm just on the zone 4 side of zones 4/5, and I'm in a bit of a valley where I get late and early frosts. That's what attracted me to the landot noir, it buds and blooms late and harvest is somewhat early. It also sounds like it makes a nice wine. Last summer our latest frost was mid may and earliest frost was sept 9. Temps get down to -20 about twice every ten years.

I have limited experience with Landot. First it does make a nice wine. Here even at our zone 5 site, it is a bit too tender even with a longer growing season than there. In the Cornell Baker Farm at Willsboro we have lost 4-6 of the original 12 vines of it (2 alive but barely). The others have a very limited growth and are struggling. Maybe with a different rootstock they would do better, but I would not recommend them due to my experiences with the variety.

Thanks grapeman! I had found conflicting information about its cold hardiness and it is good to hear from someone in a neighboring region with some firsthand knowledge.

Any suggestions for a variety that would complement Marquette for mixing and tolerate my climate?

Leon Millot is good to just about your zone and is an early ripening grape. It makes a nice complementary wine to the Marquette.

Is there any particular reason to grow Leon Millot over Marechal Foch?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back