Wild try

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floandgary

Bottle at a time
Reaction score
I have 4 qts of juice from a wild vine to which I plan to add a gallon of Welches grape fruit cocktail (from frozen concentrate). Enough sugar to bring SG to @1.080. Pectic enzyme solution and Lalvin K1-V1116 yeast. Can I let'r rip or should I include something else to stand a chance of producing anything worthwhile?

Do you mean you have must from an outdoor species you pick your self? I might sterilize it with k meta or cam tabs first to kill off any unwanted organisms. Unless its pasteurized.

I have 4 qts of juice from a wild vine to which I plan to add a gallon of Welches grape fruit cocktail (from frozen concentrate). Enough sugar to bring SG to @1.080. Pectic enzyme solution and Lalvin K1-V1116 yeast. Can I let'r rip or should I include something else to stand a chance of producing anything worthwhile?

Gary, let me know how it goes! I have quite a bit of wild grapes around my property was wondering how they would be for wine!

Ahh yes Jimmy. Almost forgot about the K-meta. The grapes were picked from a wild vine, crushed thru an old time hand strainer. Intended for grape jelly but now destined for something far better, I hope! Barring any other suggestions/warnings, I may give it a go tomorrow. Terry I'll surely let you and all the others know what happened;)

Hi Gary,

Add k.meta, pectin enzyme and what 24 hours then add yeast. Do you have the ability to test acid? You should also Check acid and adjust if necessary.

Last edited:
Thanks Julie. Another step toward success. Unless it can be done with a hydrometer or mathimatically, I have no means to check it. What do I need?

Floandgary said:
Thanks Julie. Another step toward success. Unless it can be done with a hydrometer or mathimatically, I have no means to check it. What do I need?

To perform an acid test, you can buy a test kit for $20 or so.

Back