Wild grape varieties for zone 8b (Louisiana)? Leaves only...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerbee

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to plant some seeds or young vines in my backyard so I can use the leaves in greek cooking... I'm not planning on making wine or using the grapes produced for anything. I've read online that cultivated grape leaves are lack the same grape flavor as their wild counterparts, and as such, wild is the way to go as all of the energy goes into leaf production rather than fruiting...

Could anyone recommend some varieties that I could plant for great leaf production that would require minimal maintenance? Ideally, I'd like to make a few rows, plant, get them going, and forget about them other than water and nutrients.

Hi, I'm looking to plant some seeds or young vines in my backyard so I can use the leaves in greek cooking... I'm not planning on making wine or using the grapes produced for anything. I've read online that cultivated grape leaves are lack the same grape flavor as their wild counterparts, and as such, wild is the way to go as all of the energy goes into leaf production rather than fruiting...

Could anyone recommend some varieties that I could plant for great leaf production that would require minimal maintenance? Ideally, I'd like to make a few rows, plant, get them going, and forget about them other than water and nutrients.

Im in LA also, most of the grapes grown in other parts of the country won’t survive here due to Pierce’s disease. The Muscadine family of grapes do quite well and are resistant to Pierce’s, handle heat, a lot of water, and drought, pretty trouble free. In laws have several vines that are prolific and produce with little effort / maintenance. No clue what the leaves taste like.........

Time to press the easy button!

918zxOrWZiL._SY679_.jpg

Latest posts

Back