Wide swings in weather

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapeman

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is everybody having such wide swings in temperature this year as we are? So far this year we have set a dozen new daily highs and the a couple days later goes the other way. Nost recently - last Friday-high 59, today 99, two days of this then down in the 60's. How can anyone or anything get used to this? Even with all the record highs, the growing degree days is only slightly higher than normal.

How is everyone else doing out there and how do you cope- drink more wine and beer?
smiley2.gif

JW does that mean you absolutely drink more wine and beer, or do you handle the heat absolutely- using "Absolute"
smiley4.gif

Gee it's down to 98 here now. The two towns near me are at 100 and 101 right now down from 102 a while ago. Who moved us to Texas?
smiley36.gif
I went out to hoe and instead said Ho Ho Ho, I don't think so. I moved the sprinklers instead with them turned on, then went back out into the office to "monitor" the grapes growing in the vineyard and practice patience(in the air conditioning).Edited by: appleman

We just came out of some hot, humid weather.
smiley7.gif
I checked the weather in Orlando, FL and we were pretty close to their stats!
smiley19.gif
This morning, when I left the house around 6am, it was terrible. Hot and muggy. By the time I got to work the air had changed and you could feel how much dryer it was. What a relief! But, when it was hot and muggy, I did use the hoe a bit.

It has been hard to cope with the heat and humidity...somedays it would rain and then get in the 90's...good thing it has been windy....today it is more bareable...drier and cooler air suppose to last few days.
smiley4.gif

Yes...wide swings in temperature..everything is growing like crazy.

Hot and steamy humid here in Hillbilly country. But we expect it so I guess that makes it somewhat more tolerable.

It has been the same here....very cool the last few weeks and hot and humid yesterday and today but back to normal temps for the weekend. First time this summer we ran the AC in the house which is much later than normal.

About normal here around 90 and humid. Ol'timers say that is what makes the corn grow. Wait I'm the ol'timer now. That can't be right. Oh well guess it better then the alternative. Suppose to cool down the next couple of days. Good time to get some chores done outside.

The all-time record high for my little town was 101 deg F in 1975. I was checking the high for here yesterday and found it had hit 101 deg F also- tying the highest temperature ever recorded here. No wonder it was hot!
Today isn't much better. The humidity is even higher and up to 94 at about 11:00 this AM. High is supposed to be 91. This weekend will seem nice with highs in the 60s.

After last weeks heat of 95's and high humidity, it seemed cold this morning....52...will be reaching you at some point...feels really good...

Been out hoeing this morning...picking strawberries wasn't like the last time when the sweat was dripping off my forehead....Raspberries are starting to ripen...probably due to the heat....Everything should slow down a bit now....at least for a few days.

Will find more labor intense jobs to do today.

Now at 2:00 it is up to 98 here, 100 and 101 in the neighboring towns again. Record for the day 93- broke that already and at the rate were going, maybe the all time high today. The thunderstorms are south of us. It would be nice to get some rain and cool it down. I'm staying put inside again!

I work in a wood shop where it reached 96 with the machines going and
all the dust in the air and its like getting tarred and feathered, 1st
you sweat and then the dust jusdt sticks to you!
smiley11.gif

It was cloudy, cool and windy...Jim dug a few post holes and set some corner posts out in the pasture...then....we actually went out and cut a load of firewood....we didn't get our wood cut this April as we usually do...Jim had cracked some ribs...then the spring work came...So....we got to go out when we can and get a bitcut at a time...No mosquitos till we got back in the tractor..had left the windows open....a perfect working day!!!! Hope this reaches you soon to give you a break.

Rain!!! We need rain!!! It's all sliding south of here! Every lawn that I have seen is completely brown. Even the weeds are brown! It crunches when you walk on it! The trees are stressed, the corn is curling. It's not a pretty sight!

Warmish here, but what do you expect for Texas. It got up to 91 in Huntsville, but we have had a LOT of rain and the cloud cover has kept the temperatures below 90 for the last couple of weeks.

Just checked the high for yesterday here and it hit 102. That is a newall-time high temp for our location and it is still June! I know it was hot! Our own thermometer said 104 at about 5:00 in the shade. It cooled down to about 80 last night and was very sticky. Better cooler weather on the way!

A litlle cooler here today so it said on the thermo at work but you
really cant tell when its over 90 and your sweating like a pig.

Just returned from a weeks holiday on a houseboat. Winter Solstice and all that. Was freezing.

Woke up the first morning and thought it was pouring with rain until I noted the deck was dry.

The water pouring off the trees was the ice melting!!!

Eastern States having floods after years of drought. Crazy weather

Latest posts

Back