Why I make wine and Why I shouldn't

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WineyTexan

Reaction score
Why I make wine and Why I shouldn't

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started making wine because I had picked 40 pounds of wild plums and no one wanted any more of my jelly. I couldn't give the stuff away, people actually ran when they saw me approaching with a jar of jelly in my hands. So I googled "Wild Plum Wine" and the recipe spoke to a deep yearning I never realized I had. It said to crush the plums with a base ball bat. I HAD TO DO THIS! I also had to find a way to use the other 30 pounds of plums. So I jumped in with both feet and sank to the bottom of the pool (figuratively speaking just in case you thought I actually crushed the plums with my feet in the swimming pool)

Another reason I started making wine was Jack Keller. I found his website and a fellow Texan who seems to know what to do with all that grows wild in Texas.

My Grandmother made wine.

Now for Why I shouldn't make wine:

There is so much more than the crush. SG??? Whats that? I actually took an SG reading on my first batch of wine. I even wrote it down. It was 1.060. Sounded good to me. I had no idea that was too low. So I'm learning, I'm adjusting, I'm asking a lot of questions. My first batch of plum wine may never be drinkable but it's a beautiful color.

Jack Keller is an amazing source for inspiration and I now have fermented wild plums, persimmons and jalapenos. I have my eye on prickly pears next. I have a feeling I should restock my first aid kit and buy a good pair of tweezers.

Lastly even though my Grandmother made wine, she also was a big champion of Spam....

WineyTexan I have to tell you that was the best introduction I have read yet. haha You will fit in with the comedy.. You have come to the right place for assistance. There are lots of guys and gals here that have lots of knowledge. So ask your questions and someone will have the answers.

:se:sh:dg

Welcome Winey, although I dont like a lot of the recipes on Jack Kellers site he is absolutely a great reference as far as recipes and knowledge of many many fruits and wine making in just about every category. IMO a lot of the recipes there need more fruit and less sugar but thats personal preference.

welcome I to am a new member and have found everyone here is very passionate about wine making. You have found the best of the best of forums on the net. If you have a question or a problem feel confident it will be resolved with more than one person here.

Latest posts

Back