Whoops, over oaked it.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

infinitenexus

Junior
Reaction score
Well, I added too many oak chips to my gallon of blackberry wine, and now it smells like it. Way way way too much oak, and I think I may have ruined the wine. Before I dump it though, is there any way to fix it? I tried splash racking, hoping I could dissipate some of the smell, but to no avail.

Save ity for thius year and blend it with your Blackberry wine that you wont have to oak! Is this the wine a little while back I mentioned in that it was a lot for 1 gallon?

Yes sir, that's the one! I think it's turning out pretty well, except for massive amounts of oak. after racking and whatnot, it's down to about 3 liters, and maybe if I were to mix that with a 5 gallon batch of non-oaked wine they would even out. I smell an experiment in the future! (actually, I just smell tons of that damn oak, since I spilled some on my foot)

You could add it to something lse also and make it something like a Blackberry Merlot or the like.

True. My wife and I are going to be moving to Colorado in about a month and a half, so I think I'm going to let it sit and rest for a bit, hopefully it'll dissipate, and when I make another batch of blackberry I'll try blending it in small amounts. I have bad luck with blackberry wine, my first batch suffered from fatal hydrogen sulfide smells, and then I over-oaked this one. Third time must be the charm, haha.

Yes blend it. Either next year or even cheat and buy a bottle to mix. Don't dump it. We would all have to raise our carboys to half mast.

Iknow that yeast fining will remove excess copper, but also read that it will remove excess oak. Google yeast fining to remove oak. I found an article but cannot paste it in right now as I am in the hospital and have to do this on the phone.

Ahhh Kevin I thought you weren't allowed cell phones in the hospital! LOL Good Luck!

Looking at what different fining agents do I found this on Google. I did not see the procedure but I'm sure you could look it up.

Yeast
Yeast has a natural protein removal effect. It is also sometimes used, in the dried (and dead) form, to remove copper sulphate, ethyl acetate, browning, oxidation and excess oak. Doses commonly recommended are 240-1000 mg/l. It is important to rack the wine soon after yeast fining in order to avoid reductive aromas.

I havent read it but from what as posted I think youll need a lot more yeast then one packet!!!

Latest posts

Back