Who Do You Think You Are?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My GGAunt did a great deal of research and traced our family back to one of the first families here in the US. She then made contact with another who connected them back to the decendants of King Richard. When people ask I tell them we are Royal decendants. In truth we came from his 7th son, who was still a nobody even then.

My grand parents on both sides were from Poland and Russia. I understand near where the border kept going back and forth. My wife's heritage is perhaps more interesting going back to England and some relation to the Churchills and a Connecticut Indian tribe on her father's side and a New Hampshire Indian tribe on her mother's side.

My wife's ancestry is similar. Her mother's maiden name is Hidy. They can trace their lineage back to Prussian nobility. Her 5th great grandfather was Heinrich Sigismund von der Heyde, friend of Federich II (the Great, King of Prussia). During the Seven Years War with Russia, Heinrich was commander of the Fortress of Kolberg, fighting off several seiges by Russian and Swedish forces. He surrendered during the third seige, to save his people from starvation, was taken as a POW, and later released.

For his service to King Frederick, his portrait was embossed onto a silver coin in 1780.
04621q00.jpg

Later, he was immortalized in the huge equestrian statue of Frederick the Great in Berlin, where he appears at the base (front), holding the plans of Kolberg in his hand.

HSvdHeyde.jpg

Hey Tess you have ky roots , have you seen Kentucky Explorer magazine? It a lot of history and genealogy from Ky.

Yes I do!! Im in Indiana and I get a mail subscription every year. Did you see the article on Dillon Asher? There was one in there. He is legendary in the genealogy world if your from anywhere in Appalacha lol

I see your from TENN. I wasnt born far. I still have a lot of people down there. Pineville Ky (Bell County) just over the border

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm originally from Louisville , moved here in 02. I may have read the article but I don't remember it. I usually read it from cover to cover. I know where Pineville is, nice area. OK back to topic

My paternal great-great-grandfather Phineas made his name by being the first man to popularize the phrase, "That's what SHE said!"

On the maternal side, my great-great grandfather Louie was Italian and first uttered the sentence, "Mama mia! That's-a some spicy meat-a-ball!" which much later was popularized in a series of Chef-Boy-R-Dee commercials in the 1960s. A subsequent lawsuit over trademark infringement was dismissed. Of course, we would never say such things today.

UNDER EDIT: I need to correct my revisionist history. I found out it was NOT Chef-Boy-R-Dee but rather Alka-Seltzer that made the commercial. Same result on the infringement lawsuit.

Here we go...
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQhwNtY3N2k[/ame]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back